I've been holding off on posting this, hoping to get some better photos, but between my epic to-do list and the greyish winter light, it doesn't look like that's going to happen any time soon!
So I thought I'd post it before I forget altogether...
I made this jacket for my mum for christmas. It's based heavily on her old favourite jacket which she wore until the holes got too big! This project has so many 'firsts' in it for me - I've never made a garment with a collar, for example -- it was a huuuuge learning curve, and it's far from perfect!
I chose a lightweight, pale green linen, like the original jacket. It features a pleated back, epaulettes (my favourite
) and button tabs to secure rolled-up sleeves (I'm sure these must have a more technical name?!). The buttons are all clear plastic with liberty print fabric trapped inside - the ones down the front are round, on the cuffs are little stars and the rest are bird shaped. They were expensive but worth it.
I made so many mistakes, I don't know where to start! Probably my first mistake was not making a toile
The collar bothers me, I somehow messed up the shoulder/neck measurements and had to make a longer collar to fit. Sigh. Also I oriented the buttonholes on the pocket flaps incorrectly - they should have been horizontal to suit the bird buttons.
So now the little birdies sit at a weird angle. And I have no idea if I set the sleeves right - they look a bit funky on the form, but actually, when my mum tried it on, they looked OK. Luckily it's meant to be a slightly oversize, casual style anyway.
And even more luckily mum ADORES it. It's far too cold for her to wear it yet, but she showed it off to every guest we had over the holidays XD
Thanks for reading! C&C & questions are all welcome