I made this for my partner for the WWP Mabon 2014 swap! Our theme was one hanging item and so I scoured Pinterest for some inspiration. I saw a few different mobiles using drift wood or some sort of "stick". I had been saving a limb that had fallen from our large maple tree, hoping to use it creatively It was already without bark and interesting looking so it was perfect for this project.
To "cure" the wood of any critters or other unwanted things, I baked in the oven for a few minutes. I would have "nuked" it in my old microwave but it was a little too big for that. Nothing seemed to be in the wood so I then sealed it was a "matte" finish sealer.
After the sealant dried, I had the eye screws that I screwed into the bottom side of the wood. Then, I hot-glued some moss and wooden ladybugs to the top part. I used some twine and attached some pine cones and cinnamon sticks to the bottoms for weight. I then used some artificial leaves, small pinecones, and small pieces of cinnamon sticks. I used some thin wire to attach those to the twine.
For the finish, I used a bright heavy ribbon to hang it with! Its pretty simple yet effective! It smells very nice but not overpowering with the few little pieces of cinnamon.
Thanks for looking!