So after months of wanting to I've at last attempted MP soap (I'm still getting up the courage to play with lye).
I made two batches of soap. I don't have a double-boiler/dedicated soap bowl, so used the "microwave method". With my first batch it cooled down much quicker than I worked, which meant that when I poured it into the molds, it created bubbly wobbles on top. The second batch worked much better.
I found them to be quite oily when I took them out of the molds, is that normal? I was also faced with the problem of "what do I do with them?". I live by the coast, so I didn't want the humidity to melt them. Eventually I just wrapped them in cling wrap. What do you guys do with your completed soap?
The first batch was a Brown Sugar and Vanilla batch (with Vitamin E). I wasn't very sure about my vanilla FO, as it didn't smell at all like vanilla in the bottle. :/ So I probably didn't use as much as I could've, it's consequently not a very strong smelling soap.
The second batch was a Lavender and Olive Oil batch. The lavender flowers just kind of floated on top, which depressed me a little, but oh well!
Okay so I really want to make this quilt for a friend of mine but I've never quilted before and my applique experience is sketchy. Frankly I'd describe my sewing skill as "Enthusiastic Beginner". But on the other hand, I tend to stay interested longer if it's a challenge.
So my first question is, for about a Queen size quilt (yes I'm crazy shhh) how much fabric/batting would I need?
Secondly, I've read some articles/tutorials etc and do you think it would be possible to do this quilt without turning? So just fusing the pieces on and zigzagging the edges? Did you do the red pieces first and then the black pieces on top of them?
Also, once you've managed to applique the patches onto the front and then you sandwich your backing and your batting and your front, how do you decide where to stitch for the "quilting"?
And what did you use for the edges?
Oh oh and what paint did you use for the back? Will normal acrylic do, do you think?
And then lastly, I have a very very old machine that I inherited from my gran, and it has a lot of... squiggly feet. Is this a quilting foot?
I'm trying to identify the stitch on the main body of this glove. I -thought- it might be honeycomb lace, but trying to knit it (R1: K. R2: k1 *sl k1*. R3: K. R4: k2 *sl k1*) isn't giving me the same results Is anyone here maybe able to take a guess at what stitch this is and how to knit it?
So I decided to teach myself how to crochet (yay for the interwebs) a while back. Using my "it can't be that hard" approach, I decided to make a crochet a bear using this horrible furry bright pink yarn I bought long ago (it was bright pink and furry, I couldn't resist).
Unfortunately, halfway through, I realised that I can't find bear eyes or stuffing anywhere in this city and consequently decided to cannibalise one of my bears (it was one of those terribly ugly "charity" bears). I prefer to think of it as extensive plastic surgery.
I present Pippen! There's a couple of things I would do differently next time but overall I'm rather happy with the result. Now if one of my acquaintances would only be considerate enough to have a girl-child.
She stalked me pretty impressively, I must say. Behold the awesome!
These three are my favourite. The cross stitch cupcake is pretty much the best thing ever. I'm bummed I didn't think of that. And the butterfly wing and the... I'm not sure what they are, but I love them.
And the close(r) up of the rest:
Thank you SO much.
Edit: Sorry about the missing images, imageshack suddenly got more complicated than it used to be. Edit2: Okay no, who knows what imageshack is doing. I give up.
Well not my first per se... my first was a coiled cereal bowl (that cracked) and pinch pot (that's been declared the ugliest sugar bowl in the world). I have however decided those don't count.
This teacup below is my first thrown item and the saucer my second. I was very proud of the teacup, however I got a quick lesson in clay shrinkage when it came to the saucer, as you can see from the size.
The kiln apparently hates me, because it decided to drop this funny insulation stuff from the lid on it while it was glazing, thus causing the bubbling you see here: Teacup:
And then there after, I made this set (yes it's a set) of coffee mugs. You can tell it's a set because they're the same colour, see? I'm still not sure how I managed to make three completely dissimilar mugs.
alexania I used really good chocolate chips and perhaps about 100g of them. I wouldn't use Marie biscuits, this works because of the contrast between sweet and salt. If you have an aldi near you, they sell a salted cracker that is very like a saltine (biggish red packet, they have three varieties, salt, wholewheat and plain..get the salted ones) failing that I would consider TUC, someone said earlier in the thread that the were too thick, but you need a salty cracker, creamcrackers are too bland, and thick
Nope, never heard of Aldi, thanks for trying though! I found these though, they look... like they might work. I only picked them because they looked slightly thinner than TUC (also I'd probably eat all the TUC while waiting for the sugar to melt, mmm) I'll let you know how it goes.
I'm completely unsure which category to place this in, so here it goes.
I made this a while ago, but I've only recently reached 15 posts (I lurk... a lot) so I haven't been able to post it.
This was my first attempt and due to not being able to find a suitable base, I eventually ended up putting one together with cardboard. The shape's the way I want it, but it's a bit wonky and bumpy, due to the cardboard.
I've been running around buying all the paper cups I can find, in an attempt to replicate that shape with a neater cup inside, but alas. So far they've all been failures