Well, some of you might not consider this to be "reconstructed" because I took a door and made it into a...door! However, since it's no longer useful for its original function, I thought it should go here.
First off, a bit of a story. I'm a graduate student who has been home for the summer and staying with my parents. My bedroom here has never had a door, and that's never been a problem. The bedroom is in the attic and that's all that's up there, so if you stand at the 'door' to the bedroom, you're just staring at a staircase. But while I was in school this past year, my parents adopted two kitties. Two very curious kitties. Who like to lick your ear while you're sleeping. Not a great way to wake up. So I needed a door. Since it also gets pretty hot up there, I also needed something that didn't block all the air flow while still being able to block a cat.
Anyway, here's what I came up with: I took a salvaged screen door, removed the rusty screen and 5 billion old staples. Then I used a lot of elbow grease to wash and scrub a bunch of flaking paint and just general grime. Instead of a screen, I decided to use fabric. Less temptations for the cats if they can't see through it, but still lets air get through. The fabric is held tight to the doorframe with a curtain rod at both the top and the bottom of the fabric panel. I would love to take the door back down and sand it all down to a uniform color and then stain it. But I needed a functional door a lot more and a lot sooner than I needed a *pretty* door.
Now some pics:
From the hallway side. The small middle section with the spindles I left open. It gives me a place to grab to open it (since the handle ended up on the *inside* of the door) and the cats are too big to make it through. (I know because the smaller one tried to jump through, and she got her head stuck.)
Inside of the door, at a weird angle because of the stairs. You can also see that I'm working on a de-wallpapering project, too.
Close-up of the inside of the door showing the handle and a bit about how things are put together. Please excuse my shoddy sewing skills. Might not be very straight or accurate, but it gets the job done.
Thanks for looking!