This is my first attempt at a reconstructed item...I made this hat for a friend for Hanukkah from my husband's merino wool sweater (yes, WITH his permission!! ;-)
I didn't know how to add the beads to the bow, so I sewed it perpendicular across the top...and it wound up looking like a dragonfly or butterfly or something...I actually kind of love that!
As for the actual cutting of the sweater/shaping of the hat pattern, I just kind of eyeballed it. It is going to take a little finessing to figure out how to make it the right shape and less bumpy. (If anyone has any tips on that, I'm all ears.) Still, I was pretty happy with it overall.