Quite some time ago, I saw someone using soda can tabs to make chain-mail. Although I remember thinking it would be amazing to make something out of them, I completely forgot about it until, a few weeks ago, my mom began to save soda cans. I kept the tabs, and linked them together.
It was at this stage where I realized the top row was just about the width of the back of my hand, and decided to make a chain-mail glove. Unfortunately, I don't own a pair of gloves, so I did what any normal person would do, and slapped together my own using the remains of a pair of pants. (RIP, favorite PJs, you will be missed.)
Front side of glove. The fabric isn't nearly that wonky in real life.
Close-up of the wrist flap thing. I actually sewed this part to make four small pockets, possibly to hold tiny vials or scrolls. I have no idea if there is a name for the stitching. I just sort of added it in and liked the way it looked, so I used it around the whole glove.
Back side of the glove.
Completed glove, laced shut.
Attaching the chain-mail to the glove took a ridiculously long time, mostly because the edges of the tabs would cut the thread if I wasn't careful with the placement. Which was fairly often.
The entire piece took approximately 11 days to complete, mostly because I had no idea what I was doing. I did not have a pattern for the glove, just made it up as I went along. It originally did not have a thumb, but I threw that in there because I felt the back of the thumb would be too exposed. The three X's in the last pic were added as reinforcement where I screwed up in cutting.
The only thing I do not like is that the wrist flap thing is a tad short. After a while, it rides up a bit and has to be tucked back in. Eventually I want to make a pair of bracers that will attach to the glove, keeping the flap in place. However, seeing as how one glove required 112 tabs, and I have yet to complete the right hand.... It might be a while.
This is my first post ever so... please be kind
Many thanks to atsuko for the following link:
This is the same tutorial that I happened upon months ago that led to this project.