after the show in the improved costume
In my ballet company's production of the Nutcracker I am dancing the role of the Arabian this season. I was excited about the dance but not about the costume. It just wasn't that flattering.The pants were made out of gold organza, which instead of being soft and flowing, were stiff and had little drape. I asked in I could take the costume home to embellish it and the costume staff said yes. I took the costume home and tried to make the pants more flattering but it was an exercise in frustration.
the old pants and the bodice
Then I found a black mesh fabric with gold metallic thread woven through for $2.50 a yard at my favorite fabric store. I made a pattern and hand sewed the pants over the weekend. I showed them to my director and asked if he would allow me and the other dancer performing the role to wear them. He said yes but I would need to make the bodice match. I then used the costume shop's sewing machine, body form, and trim supply to finish the project. I am really pleased with how it turned out. And today when the costume was worn for rehearsal, my director said he was really pleased with it. Yay!
I am most excited about the fact that the underwear snaps into the waistband of the pants. Since I am sharing the costume this means that we can wash the underwear between shows. It's the little things that are important
C&C welcome. . . I will post performance photos when I get them
Here is a photo by Lance Huntley taken during one of the performances. This is the other dancer with whom I shared the role