Ive been working on this for about 6 months and finished it just in time to give it to my 8 year old son for Christmas. Im redoing his room in nintendo theme and this is the big project Ive been working on. We are both huge mario fans, so I did have a lot of fun making it to. But man I never realized how much work went into a quilt!! I ended up taking the easy way out and tied it instead of hand or machine quilting like I had originally planned..I also learned some valuable quilting tips the hard way such as old tshirt material is not the best idea if you dont want the squares all stretchy and hard to work with, nor is jean material or double layer fleece a good idea when you have to sew it together in many rows of 1 inch squares...also though you are meticulously measuring and cutting these tiny squares, somehow the finished blocks can end up to be inches different in size and not a square at all really lol. But it all turned out okay in the end. Finished size is around 90"x70"ish, a little bigger than queen size. I used 2 inch squares for the mario in the middle and 1 inch squares for all the other blocks. Im really happy with how it turned out! I had planned on making a Harry Potter quilt for myself next but I may need a longggg break before I start on it lol.
My dad and me holding it up, my son is in front
All pinned and almost finished
boo before i sewed the rows together
blocks hanging on the wall as i was finishing them. i also made the boo hanging there, the bob-omb lamp and the mario name art! i have pics of all the projects in a different thread under the home sweet home forum