I started this project in the hopes of making my kitchen look more organized and at the same time adding a vintage or antique charm. I adore vintage things, paper especially, so in this project I'll show you how to make lovely vintage/antique labels for your kitchen cannisters (like flour cannisters or even spices).
In my kitchen I have lined up all my herbs on top of the cupboards and it looked like this:
The entire project took about a day, but that's only because scraping the old labels off the cannisters took forever.
So without further ado, let's begin!
1. I bought a pack of mailing labels from Staples - the ones I used for these big herb cannisters is Avery's 05163 (2" x 4"). I then went to Avery's website (www.avery.ca/templates
) and downloaded a Microsoft Word template for my particular size of labels.
2. Then I went to Deviant Art and under "Resources", I searched for "frames" and found a set that I liked. I opened up Photoshop, made the image black and white and then moved it over to Word where I inserted the various names of the herbs I had on hand. I had 30 cannisters and so I printed off 3 sheets of labels:
3. Here's the labor intensive bit - scraping off the old labels. I thought that because the labels that were already on the cannisters were old that they would be easy to remove - boy was I wrong! I used a knife to scrape off the majority of them, but the bigger labels I ended up soaking off. As per the comments I received when I posted this a couple of days ago - alwaysinmyroom suggests using Goo Begone or Goof Off to remove the labels.
I gave the jars a good cleaning before starting on my next task.
4. I wanted the labels to look antique and so I applied my tried and tested method of using tea to make the labels look vintage.
I boiled the kettle, put 3 teabags in a cup grabbed some kitchen tongs and picked up the tea bags and essentially painted with them onto the labels, letting the excess water run onto parts that were still white. Now - I was worried that the heat and water from the tea would take away the sticky from the labels, but I was pleasantly surprised that it didn't waver even slightly. So I set them on the towel on the counter, covered them with the towel to soak up the water as they dried - it took a couple of hours. If you're in a hurry, you can try baking them at 200 degrees for 5 minutes (which is what I do for aging paper), but I didn't try that method on the labels and I don't know for sure if that would change the sticky on the labels.
5. And the final step, and perhaps the most satisfying - is to apply the labels to your cannisters and put them back on the shelf.
^ Here's two of the cannisters, the Lavender and the Eucalyptus Leaf - I love how these turned out!
^ A closer look
^ As a bonus, I also had these other two cannisters (though I haven't decided what to put in them yet) that held really terrible chocolate that I threw out because I bought it for the cannister
^The closer one reads: Eye of Newt and the further one: "Dragon Scales"
^And a further away finished product on the shelf
^And a closer final view.
Feel free to ask me any questions you may have about the project