I made this little 4" wattle fairy a couple of weeks ago. All the wattle here in Canberra is in full bloom, which means spring is coming at last! She has a formed head, and she is made from wool felt and stuffed with carded wool. Behind her is a skein of yarn that I dyed with the flowers from the wattle tree across the road. I am hoping to make some more flower fairies for our spring nature table.
Hi Everyone, Ranga is slang in Australia for a red head. This little girl came out very red indeed! With her hair down she reminds me of Saffron from Firefly (Our Mrs Reynolds episode) but whenever I see our Prime Minister on TV, I think....Oh no! I made Julia Gillard! She is a 12 inch Waldorf doll, made with organic cotton and stuffed with sheep wool. What do you think?
I made this King Winter for our nature table at home. The frame is a wood and wire doll from Bunnings, a local hardware shop. His clothes are made from pure wool felt, and he is holding a Svarovski pendant as his basketful of frost. Having a seasonal winter table is part of the Waldorf school tradition, it marks the changing year. King Winter is usually a feature during the colder months, surrounded by frost fairies and the like. Maybe I'll make those next year!
I am becoming increasingly frustrated with my Singer 7468. I bought it new 3 years ago. I have found in the past that it has a lot of trouble going through more than 3 layers of cotton at a time (clanks as the needle punches through), just about manages 2 layers of corduroy. I can reverse through thicker layers, but then can't go back forward. It has served me well for patchwork and making my own clothes, but I have recently started making doll clothes to sell, and I am not getting much precision stitching out of it. I am sewing bias binding on the doll clothes and I am having to hand sew the edges where the binding is folded over as the machine is just making crow nests at the back as the needles won't punch through the binding and cotton fabric. Today was the final straw - tried to sew a dress of fine cotton, and had to sew it on tracing paper as the machine just swallows the thin fabric. So it won't do thick and it won't do thin either!
Before this machine I used a 1970s Bernina and I made all my own bellydance costumes on it. That machine would just go through anything! I now wish that I never upgraded! But dammit, the automatic buttonhole and coloured lights were just so shiny!
In your opinion, are the older machines more hard core and dependable?
My son starts pre-school next week (hoorah! hoorah! hoorah! and he needs a blanket for rest time. He picked the eye-blistering orange, and the stripes in between are made of rectangles from my scrap box. The middle layer is part of a cotton blanket, the type they use on hospital beds, that I picked up cheap at a 2nd hand shop. The bottom layer is a plain blue cotton sheet, so if his teacher has a problem with how bright it is, he can use it upside down. I was going to quilt it by stitching in the ditches, but had no bright orange thread on hand. So I used trusty white, and stitched an inch in from the seams. I think it frames the patchwork block quite nicely, what do you think?
I finished this doll today. She is 12 inches tall, body made from a reclaimed t-shirt that I bought at an Op-Shop (goodwill store). After reading the Raggedy Ann stories with my son, I now give all my dolls a heart, as you can see in one of the pictures. Her hair is a crochet mohair cap.
Hello everyone, I finally got around to taking photos of these two fairies that I needlefelted at the start of summer. They are for our summer seasonal table, being a cherry and a sunflower fairy. The body is wool roving wrapped around a pipe cleaner frame, a technique that I learnt at the Orana School craft group. They are about 4 inches high, and I felted them up quite hard so they would stand some handling. I am practising my photography for etsy, so any C&C welcome on the fairies or their photos!
I made these bathmats by weaving strips of bath towels together. I saw a tute on this somewhere online, so big up anyone who has posted a tute on this! I found it easiest to keep all the layers together by using safety pins in all the squares, and then sewing pins for the seams that I was working on. The towels I bought were dark purple and blue on one side, and light on the other. So I got two different bathmats out of the two towels. I find that they dry out much quicker than ordinary bath mats, and are very easy to wash. I received the cute owl and whale fabric in a swap.
I made this for the Frugal Christmas swap. The body and clothes are made of cotton, stuffed with wool roving. Her hair is a small amount of long fringe in a golden/copper colour. She holds a whirlygig in one hand, and a banner in the other that says "peace". She has on stripy stockings, lace trimmed bloomers, a lace trimmed underskirt, and a gathered Lollita style over skirt with a halter neck top. If I could've figured out a way to add boobs to her, I would have! The pattern is from an issue of Homespun. C&C welcome!
I found the instructions for this pattern in the Australian Homespun magazine, although I am sure it is not an original idea! I like using up as much fabric from my scrap box as I can, which is why there is a double strip border. After assembling all the mountains, I discovered that I prefer blocks that were a combination of solid with a contrasting pattern. Those blocks made my eyes hurt less than the pattern on pattern blocks. I won't be doing one of these again in a hurry, you had to sew together two triangles, and then cut them into strips with a rotary cutter and then re-arrange the strips to make the mountain shape. I prefer cut once sew once pieces I think! The finished object is a duvet cover. Since we have 2 bed hogging cats I like to be able to wash things very regularly.