So when people ask me what I got for Christmas, and I tell them that I got NaOh and a 4G iPod touch, they just congratulate me on my new iPod. Is it just a little bit sad that I'm just a tad more excited about the lye? Lulz...
Anyways, I can finally get started on soapmaking now that I have my NaOh. C:
But...I have about a thousand questions. So if it's okay with you kiddos, I'd like to just post a list of them and hope you'll help me. I've read just about any post regarding how to make soap properly, but after awhile I can't remember it all. D: Totally understand if this is deleted and whutnot.
1. My parents bought this stuff, and I don't want to blow up the house or waste anything, so is this the right stuff?
There's something about food grade lye and perfect pretzels and bagels...and WTF. Why would you want seriously caustic stuff in deericious breads? Really?
2. I reeeeeeally want to use different herbs/teas/veggies/other natural-y stuff in the soaps to make them smell good and hopefully look nice. How would that work? I recently saw somebody's post about using cucumber puree as the water...should I do that with, say, the sage in the garden? Or should I add that at trace? Did I even use the right term for that? What do you suggest? I would kind of like to keep money spent on scents to a minimum.
3. My skin is...just dumb. I can only use pretty much use this stuff which is pretty much unscented lotion on it to wash myself. It's terrible. Basically I'm just allergic to soaps with fragrance and my skin gets all rashy. Sad day. If I were to use FOs, would that make my skin freak out? Is that the same thing manufacturers put in their soap?
4. I've read too many things about what makes soap smell weird for a little bit before it cures. If you could provide a list...that would be fantastic. This isn't really a question...sorry...
5. To modify "question" 4, what the heck do each of the methods do? And what are their assigned acronyms? There's about 19875346 bajillion of them, and I'll go into a thread and see something about somebody having a scent problem, and this is usually how the conversation goes,
"Well were you using TYUEIHF method? Sometimes lizard poison can mess with the base oils and added yo yos."
"Oh, of course! I'll be sure just use the usual chewed up robot battery acid next time."
Um...whaaaat? I know there's a thread that has a listing of the different methods, but I've seen a few pop up that I haven't seen/read of before.
6. Kind of speaking of which, I did soap making for the first time in chem class last year, and we just mixed the oils and lye together and sat it in a mold. That's, CP, otherwise known as cold process, right? I kind of am familiar with a few...
7. What specific oils would you suggest for really dry skin? Like...mine.
8. What's the deal with tea in soaps? Will it make it all disgusting? I've read about various results...like spoiling and ammonia smells...when would be the best time to add it?
9. I like how pine smells. Could I somehow use pine needles? I mean...not just throw in some pine needles and call it good. But like...do something with them. Yeah. I know people make pine tea, so would that do? Kind of relates to 8...
10. Generalized 9: Can I grind up flowers that smell pretty? Like a jasmine flower or something else? Or is that just a waste?
I'll...stop now. I know I'll have more questions later that I can annoy you with. Sorry if this is totally misplaced or not right or bad. It's totally fine if you delete this.
Please feel free to offer any other advice/comments/fantastiche knowledge!