I was matched up with Smeddley
in the recent I miss that SOOOOO much!!! swap. She mentioned in forum that she would love a Xena poppet. I thought about it a bit, then decided that by the time I built a poppet, I would not have the energy to make the outfit and gear she would need to be Xena...so I gave up on the idea. But then I was looking for a bunny for another item at a thrift and this doll jumped out at me that kept screaming, "Make me into XENA please!!" (for those of you who worry about stuff like that...I don't mean literally...) . So I just had to commit and make the transformation. All she really needed was a hair cut and an eye color change.
The only before I managed to take was after the boil washing but before the hair cut..
I have no idea who this doll was to start with. As you can see she had all one length hair, and as mentioned, all I did to her face was repaint the eye color from root beer to ice blue. If anyone recognizes who she was to start with, please post it. I'd love to know
My FAVO part to make was this..
her Chakram. The inner gold part is a metal part painted gold, the blade part is silver FIMO. I have carried that gear around with me for ages. It was nice to finally discover where it belonged. The holder is just a bit of wire bent to serve it's purpose. The sword is just a tongue depressor with FIMO accents
The doll was completely flat chested, so I made the breast armor out of two balls of brown FIMO with a coil added as detail to the armor. The squiggles that join the breast bits to the shoulder are wire painted gold. The rest of the metal details are gold MarthaS paint...love that stuff! it seems to stick to everything! All the armor is sewn and glued on....I just don't trust glue alone. The details were painted while the armor was flat. The armor pieces are all cut from a vinyl sample book from a decorating store.
Here's a detail pic of the skirt. I cut all those little tabs watching Xena for research. They are all hand sewed together. I painted the back of the vinyl so that white didn't show. Then I reversed every other tab so there was better contrast in the skirt.
The hardest part was the boots. She had a semiheel foot (not the Barbie arch, but about 1/2 way in between) so she wasn't going to stand on her own, and as far as I was concerned Xena MUST stand up on her own. I ended up using paper mache clay...but a new one I picked up somewhere for free to build up the back of the foot and the toe to help to even out the look. I added wire for support around the foot (totally small and weak feet that girl had for the size of her head! if she were real she would never have been able to walk around
) and then added those super strong magnets to the heals, hoping that would be enough to keep her up right....nope. So she ended up getting an Altoid tin standing base. There are wires around the feet to hold her to the mos covered tin. Smed can add rocks or marbles or other heavy things that might fit in Altoid tins to help her stay even more stable. The outside of the shoes are covered the same as the armor on the body...sewn and glued. Xena can still be removed from the base so she could ride a horse or do a high kick if she needs to.