Recently most of the sewing I've been doing has been for my historical re-enactment obsessed housemate and best friend Kindra. The main project has been some Tudor blackworking for a partlet, but late Saturday night she told me she needed a medieval belt embroidered by Monday!! Arrghh, well after getting over the shock of having this dumped on me at such short notice I got sewing. Managed to get in two hours Saturday night, then spent all day Sunday sewing furiously. Thankfully the pattern was a relatively simple one!! It was 36" long, and 6cm wide, made using white silk taffeta fabric with 3 ply silk filament thread in gold. This was the most annoying combination of materials to sew with I've ever encountered. Both were quite slippy and never wanted to go were I wanted them to. I also found the thread incredibly hard to work with. One section broke down into about 9 smaller threads, which would start falling apart and matting after a short amount of sewing time. It was definitely an interesting experience. Anyway I was really happy with the finished result, considering how quickly I managed to turn it around!!
After I finished the embroidery my house mate mounted it on some leather and sewed the excess material around it to make it a bit stronger when being worn. The actual buckle was one she bought, but the punched plate that the buckle is mounted to, and the belt end were made by her boyfriend who is a professional armourer. They are so beautiful and shiny!! So all in all this project was a bit of a team effort!!
Well enough blabbing,here be some pictures:
The finished belt -
Some close ups of the embroidery pre beltification -