I used the cord for curtains and upholstery found in the backs of most JoAnnes, wrapped that in soft metal wires, and then lined the back cross and most of the wings with hanger wire for support, and then coiled over all that with yarn. If you would notice--the designs inside the wings are in all purpose symmetrical like real wings. It was actaully pretty easy to do. The second time I had a pattern. The first time was just trying to fill up a predetermined space.
The story: My final project in my Fiber Arts Class was a wearable project. I didn't want to make a wearable project I would never wear. What did other people make? A coiled hat, a revamped bra, felted beer mittens... (there was a bottle cap opener attached! It was silly), a bag or two. I wanted to be awesome so of course I tell her "Fairy Wings".
Why do I alway choose projects that are too much work? I did the same thing for my high school fibers class, I picked a huge project--not just a big one. Anyway, with the teacher looking at me like "What is she thinking--she'll never get this done" I did it!
I had to pull my first college all-nighter for this. I finished 2 hours before class. I changed my clothes, and left for class early,proudly wearing my wings.... in the snow. ^_^
I don't know how long this took. This project was made at the same time as my weaving. (the weaving was due a week before, so i basically put most of this off until that week.)
Though, I didn't do as good as I wanted. The back has gaps because I only had time to focus on one side sadly. If I ever make this into a full costume for Halloween or something--I'll go back and try to fix that. For now it's fine. ^_^