I made the Infinity/Infinite dress today, using Rostitchery's tutorial. Its an awesome dress, but man- it has been a huge pain in the butt.
When I was getting ready to cut out my pieces, I sectioned off a 17" by 90" piece to eventually be cut in half and used for straps, which involved placing pins in a very straight line all the way down. When I finished this, I realized the remaining fabric was not wide enough to make the circle skirt that is needed for the dress. Also, the stretch was going the wrong way. So I pulled out all the pins (40+) and had to start over. My straps ended up being 30" shorter than the originals.
Now, I've made circle skirts before, but this one was giving me trouble. The skirt was 60" by 60", and it was impossible to make a circle that would end up making the length of the skirt more that 20". I ended up making a weird octogon-type shape rather than a circle. I measured my underbust, divided by four and cut the quarter-circle out of the middle of the piece as you do for circle skirts. Nope. This thing ended up being a good five inches bigger than it needed to be. Cutting out the skirt took me at least a half hour.
After that, all the cutting went along fine. When it came time to sew the pieces, I overlapped the straps like I should have, but for some reason they looked wrong after I sewed them together. I thought I sewed right sides together rather than a wrong side touching a right (I ended up having it right). So I took out my trusty seam-ripper and ripped those stitches out. Sewed it again. Same problem. After about ten minutes, I figured out how the straps were supposed to be, and I had it right all along.
In the dress I was making, you're supposed to sew a single seam all the way around the waist of the skirt, with the strap piece on top and a folded band on top of that. I accidently put the band underneath the strap piece, so when I turned the dress out the right way the overlap between the two ends of the band were visible. Whoops. Seam-ripped it and started again.
Ta da, my dress was now finished. I put it on my dress form and quickly tried out all the different styles the straps could produce. Then I looked at the back. Those five extra inches in the measurement of the skirt's waist messed it up. The back of the dress came incredibly low and kind of stuck out in a weird way. And since the fabric was a stretchy knit, I figured it wouldn't unravel or fray. I was right, but the unhemmed edge looked so sloppy and bad. I realized I'd have to spend even more time on the dang thing.
Luckily, I had been using thread that was nearly the same color as the fabric. I started making little hems on these monsterous 60" straps, both sides. This involved pinning down a hem that was about a quarter of an inch wide for a total of 480". I started sewing, and everything seemed okay.
I finished both sides of one of the straps (phew) and started on the next. About halfway through the second strap's hemming, I felt a sharp sting shoot through the tip of my left index finger as I was pulling out a pin. I immediately stopped sewing and saw blood. Big ol' drops of blood. In incredible pain, I ran upstairs and washed my bloody mess of a finger and had to put not one, but two bandages on it. One around the nail and one right over the top, encasing it in a grip that doesn't allow any air or circulation to my poor finger. But it was necessary- this blood was coming out pretty fast, and I didn't want to have to elevate it all night.
Mad as ever, I ran back downstairs to hopefully finish my hemming without any more accidents. I pressed down on the pedal, and the needle wouldn't move. Not seeing anything wrong with it and suspecting a poor pedal-press on my part, I pressed down harder. Bad idea. Whack! The tip of the needle shot out and hit me directly on the left side of my chin. Stung a little, but luckily there was no more blood. I had broken the needle on my finger.
I finally dug out a new needle and replaced the old one. It was fine after that. I finished off that side of the strap's hemming and was ready to finish off the other side and the hem on the bottom of the skirt. As I cut the thread, I realized something was a little odd. The last ten or so inches of the hem's stitching weren't there. Suspecting the bobbin to be empty once again (it already happened about three times) I just shook my head and prepared to string up another one. Then I look up at the spool and notice that its empty. I ran completely out of thread. Bad news is, I don't have anymore of that color. I'll have to either dig some out of my mom's stash or buy a new spool.
My dress is basically finished. I'm happy with the results, but my endeavor also resulted in a half-finshed hem job, a bloody finger and no thread. This dress better be worth it.
EDIT: I finally finished the darn thing. I ended up having to take in a good fifteen inches at the back in order for it to fit correctly. Gah. Now thats its completely finished (finally!), I can truly say I'm proud of it.
Satan himself in the form of a dress: