A couple of months ago, I picked up this vintage dress from a thrift store for $1. $1! How could I say no? It's 100% silk, and such a pretty colour. It was designed by Nora Noh, who was apparently Korea's first female fashion designer!
The dress had a few problems, as far as I could see. Firstly, it was completely shapeless. The only reason it has any shape at all in this photo is because I have my hands on my hips. Dropped waists are so unflattering (at least on me!) Secondly, the shoulder pads. So not a fan. Thirdly, the arms were really tight on me. And lastly, it was a really awkward, long length on me. Please excuse the mess and lank hair in this photo, I was really keen to get started and it was dark outside and I was already in my pajamas
So, I snipped out the shoulder pads, carefully unpicked and removed the sleeves, and restitched the armholes, and unpicked the whole drawstring waist thingy. I was worried that I would have to cut the dress in half at the drawstring point, but it turns out the whole thing could be completely unpicked and removed without any damage to the dress, except one tiny hole where the drawstring ties went through. I put the dress on inside-out and marked my waist, then sewed a length of elastic on the inside of the dress to match the marks. Finally, I cut off a good 5 inches of fabric from the bottom of the dress and sewed a new hem. I got a lot of conflicting info when I tried to research what kind of hem I should use (blind? hand-rolled?) so I ended up just doing a normal narrow hem and it looked fine to me.
I love the end result - it's light and flowy, flattering to my shape and perfect for summer!
I recently completed my first ever Colette pattern, the Parfait dress! I made it from a bedsheet I found at Goodwill, because I didn't want to use a wonderful fabric for my first attempt in case all didn't go to plan.
I made a 10 in the bust, and graded up to a 14 in the hips, but I ended up having to take it in at the waist a little more even after that. I didn't bother putting buttonholes on the pockets, because I knew having them buttoned would only annoy me later.
I have to say that I love the pattern, I think it's flattering for my body type and I'll definitely be making more Parfaits and buying more Colette patterns in future! In fact, I'm working on a Pastille right now
PS: I do, in fact, have two legs. I was trying to be fashionable and strike a pose, but my darling husband didn't tell me that I looked like an ibis!
I got bored this afternoon, and I have a rather severe lack of summery clothes, so I decided to whip up a quick dress
I've had the fabric for ages - it's a jersey cotton knit, black, with pink scribble hearts on it. The dress was really easy to make - just two rectangles, with a casing at the top for the sash. The sash is black cotton voile, leftover from lining another dress a while ago. It was super easy, and turned out looking way better than I expected!
A month or two ago, I was browsing a local thrift store and found this XXL mens shirt. It was $7, but it was in fantastic condition, and I loved the colours, so I bought it (I wish I'd taken a before picture, but just imagine your usual mens shirt, button-down, huge). Originally I was hoping to make it into a dress, but I thought that might have been a bit too much of a challenge, so I made it into a tunic instead. I used Simplicity 2942 as a guide, but I had to freestyle some of it because the pattern pieces and the fabric didn't match up. The front of the shirt became the back of the tunic, and the back of the shirt became the front of the tunic. I used black cotton for the front yoke thingy and the cuffs, because I just couldn't squeeze enough fabric out of the shirt. The shirt had awesome gold buttons, which I used for the cuffs (first time doing buttonholes omg, I was so nervous), and I'm tossing up whether or not to sew a couple down the front of the black yoke. What do you think?
I'm thinking maybe a white sash would look good against the polka dots
Thanks for the info about princess seams, I guess my bust is just the wrong shape! It's odd because I have an hourglass figure and largish boobs, so you'd think if anything it would be too tight around the bust, but instead it's loose in odd places.
I know it would be best if I made a test garment from a sheet or muslin, but I'm too impatient I think I will next time, though, because it's just so hard to tell if the size will be ok from looking at pattern pieces.
I started sewing about 2 years ago now, but I only really just started sewing clothes in the last few months. I recently made a top, which ended up being too big, and, well, not that great. But I recently scored a bunch of patterns for $2 each, and my birthday is coming up, so I decided to make myself a dress. I chose Butterick B4443, which is a fairly simple dress, and some polka-dot fabric I bought on sale ages ago.
Although it's apparently an easy pattern, I had some difficulties with. First of all, I cut out the size that matched my measurements (20) and the bodice was WAY too big. I ended up going with a 16 in the end, and it still could have been smaller at my waist. There are no darts in the pattern, which means the dress gapes slightly at my armpits, which I hate. Unfortunately, being a newbie sewer, I didn't realise the lack of darts would be a problem until it was too late. I just assumed the dress didn't need them. I also found hemming the skirt to be difficult, and as for comprehending Butterick's instructions on zip insertion...I ended up just doing the zip the best way I knew how. But I learned how to understitch lining, and let me tell you, I am so proud of the inside of the bodice I could just burst!
So yes, it's not perfect, but it's definitely suitable to wear out on my birthday. I originally planned not to do the sash the pattern includes, but after feedback from my husband I think I will add it in.