Hello fellow craftsters!
I've searched the boards and didn't find that this type of project had already been posted, but if it has please forgive me and feel free to merge it.
Sometimes when it's warm out I just don't want to carry a purse, I want to have my hands free and my pockets smooth and flat, so I made one of these for the summer...which apparently has already started where I live...http://www.funkjungle.com/craft/tintop.jpghttp://www.funkjungle.com/craft/tinopenwithstuff.jpg
It was super easy to make, here's what I did:
1. Cleaned out an altoids tin, flipped it over, and marked two 2" lines out with a marker, since I was going to use 2" webbing for the strap.
2. Then I drilled at the top and bottom of each line, to give me a place to start and stop while cutting the tin.
3. Next, I cut from drill hole to drill hole with a box cutter.
4. I opened the tin, and used needle nose pliers to carefullybend the cut edges of the tin up into the tin. Then I used a flat head screwdriver to push down the rough edges, making sure no rough edges were on the side that would be touching my skin. I'm sure there are other ways to smooth the slits, but I came up with that method because of the tools I had on hand.
5. Then I spray pained the tin, glued on the dragonfly, sprinkled on some glitter, and sprayed the top with thick clear glaze stuff.
6. Next, I glued the mirror into the lid with some craftstore adhesive. I got the mirror at Hobby Lobby, and didn't have to cut it down or anything.
7. I cut the webbing to fit my wrist, carefully melted the edges with a lighter to avoid fraying, and sewed some hook and loop on the ends.
8. Then I threaded it through the slits, positioned the tin on the webbing just how I wanted it, and glued a square of felt into the tin bottom to cover any rough edges from the silts. I also sewed a ribbon on there so that I could put my ID and other cards on top of the ribbon, then pull the ribbon to pop them out when I need them. Easy as that!!http://www.funkjungle.com/craft/tinopenempty.jpghttp://www.funkjungle.com/craft/tinunderneath.jpg
Because of the spraypaint I had some problems with the tin sticking, so I rubbed the edges with some of that wax stuff you use on sticky zippers, and now it opens much easier, but doesn't just drop open. Now I'm ready for some hard core hands free thrifting!
Since so many of you are really good at decorating these little tin buggers, I'd love to see what you come up with!!