This quilt has been a work-in-progress for me for at least two years, with an additional two years of persuading my husband to let me cut up his old t-shirts. When I first met my husband, he lived in tie-dye, most of which featured some sort of Grateful Dead logo. Gradually, however, the tie-dye went by the wayside (along with his long hair and Birkenstocks
). My husband is a sentimental guy, though, and he kept every single solitary t-shirt in the attic for years. I was sentimental about these shirts, too, since they reminded me of our college years and when we first met. As sewing became more and more of a hobby for me, I got the idea in my head to make a quilt out of all those old t-shirts rotting away in the attic. Hubby was wary, however, and it took a long time for me to convince him the quilt was a good idea. When he finally consented (and I realized that I had to actually follow through with this endeavor) I knew that it would take me a while, but I never expected it to take this long! A few life set-backs and some design evolution delayed this project a bit, but I finally got the kick to finish it from the Harry Potter Craftalong
here on Craftster and the fact that both my husband and I turned 30 this year (though the actual birthday deadline did pass me by).
And here it is, my first trip into full-size quilting completed!!
You can see the square alignment is off in the first few rows...I got slightly better at that as I went on.
Here's a shot of the back:
And some fun angle shots just because:
I interfaced all the t-shirt squares and used a black sheet for the boarders. The backing is a tie-dyed cotton sheet and the binding is store-purchased extra wide bias tape (9 yards). All machine sewn and quilted.
Critiques and comments welcome! Thanks for looking!