Kabili - thanks! GOT IT! I was having a huge brain fart - pooofffft - and just needed some outside input! Thanks for the help, and I'll be sure to post pics when I'm done (no telling when that will be...).
This is a call for help from a new, optimisitic, self-taught knitter who may be in over her head for a first ever FO. I am dying to start the pixie hat in Knit Wit, in the sleek option, and I need some help with the beginning of the pattern.
CO X stitches for my melon size - got it. Work even - got it - seed stitch - yup, got that - and this is where I get lost...
...until 1" from beg, ending, with RS (right sides - got it) facing. Huh? Does that mean to knit until I am an inch into the CO stitches, then seed stitch until I am an inch from the end, and then I knit to the end? Where does the RS come in there? Is that the RS of the CO stitches? Doh! Help! The rest of the pattern is perfectly clear to me, but I'm stuck at the starting gate.
I know that this is basic stuff, and that I really need to find a local SnB to attend for help, but I am really itching to start on this at home. Take pity on me!
Ookpik - you out there? I love this hat and can't wait to make one!
This is all really good advice so far. I am in middle of making my t-shirt quilt, and it's really fun.
I also strongly advise that you iron on interfacing before you cut your squares - it makes it a lot easier.
I used a plastic 12.5-inch quilting square as my template, but you could just as easily use cardboard. I liked using the clear plastic though, because you can see through it, to the pattern on the shirt that you are cutting out. It makes it easier to get the picture centered.
I used 12 different shirts, and I cut out the big logo on the back, as well as the small logo that was on the front of the shirt. I am going to work the smaller logos into the border. I also put a 2-inch border around each t-shirt square, matching the fabric to the shirt, with no regard to how it would look with the other squares - it's crazy but it turned out pretty well! I usually have to match everything! This is a quilt to use, not to hang on your wall, so I wanted it to be fun and colorful. Plus, it was really fun to search for sailboat fabric to go with my oceanography shirt, and fish to go with my whale shirt, etc.
I am going to put binding and a flannel back on mine, but some girlfriends of mine skipped the whole step by using fleece for the back. They just sewed it around the edges of the quilt top (wrong sides together, and leaving a hole so that you can turn it right side out), and then stiched in the ditch around each t-shirt square. The fleece added loft and warmth in one step.
Here are a couple of pictures so you get the idea of what my quilt is looking like:
The quilt top. I haven't made the border with the smaller t-shirt squares yet, but you can see them ready to go.
A close-up of the squares. Even though the fabric is crazy and mixed up, the quilt top as a whole actually looks good, and will really come together when I add a border.
I thought that this was a good time to figure out how to do screenshots, since I made a mock-up of this quilt in Excel before I started (more proof of my openly anal nature) and that seemed like the best way to get a picture from a spreadsheet. (Hint: hitting Alt+Print Screen will copy your current window to your clipboard, and you can paste directly into a picture editing program or into Word, etc.).
That's the back on the left, front on the right.
Sorry for all of the pictures - I'm excited about my project!
I was so inspired by these quilts from dyabolica that I immediately raided my closet and cut up 8 pairs of jeans! It was painful (I loves me my jeans!) but very cathartic - they were all jeans from college that I can't get into any more, and they were mocking me every time I went to my closet! So, here are some pictures of the work in progress!
The first two rows of the top. You can't tell yet, but it will be a diamond (or, "Around the World") pattern, 13x13 blocks.
The back side will be diagonal rows of four alternating flannels. My quality inspector (Johnny) is on the case to ensure even seam allowances. Good dog!
A close-up of the flannel - an outdoor theme for this camping/picnic quilt (of course!).
The rest of the rows, all stacked up and ready to sew. Yes, I am, in fact, that anal.
Anna - I am humbled by your craftiness! I, too, collect Fiestaware - I love the colors and the durable quality - but I haven't crafted anything to compliment the theme. My office has a mexican folk art theme (Dia de los Muertos, Oaxacan figurines, etc.), and you have inspired me to create something crafty - a cover for the keyboard, perhaps?! Nice work.
Aw shucks - you're too kind! I showed it to my friend and asked her if she would prefer the veggies or the silk version for her present, and she ripped that thing outta my hands so quickly that I could hardly believe it! Now I am without a public vulva and I feel incomplete. I already bought more fabric to make myself a new one. Stay tuned!
I made a practice version of the vulva coinpurse in preparation for making a luxurious silk version for a friend's birthday. I wanted fabrics with contrasting colors so that I could take pictures and make detailed, step-by-step instructions for myself. (Okay, so, the truth is that I actually made another coinpurse before this one and blew it completely, so more detailed instructions were in order...) Anyhow, I ended up buying a prepared set of fat quarters with a vegetable theme. The result is, of course, the edible vulva! Tee hee!
The inside of the purse is, for better or for worse, garlic. The back side is zucchini. My cell phone fits perfectly inside, and I use it every day. It is definitely a conversation starter, and always brings a lot of laughs from the girls.