So my wallet and purse, from Vera Bradley (the yellow bird print), are falling apart after a couple of years of use. So what better thing to do than make new ones! I found this awesome, super artsy print at a local fabric store and bought a fat quarter. It had been sitting in my stash for a while, and I love it so much, I used it. I made some sketches of how I wanted it to look (similar to my Vera, but with more storage, no pockets on the outside, but the coin pocket on the inside, so on and so on) and got to making a prototype of the card slots. It was also my first time using a zipper and snaps. This turned out being a pretty low cost wallet. I used the zipper from my friend, the snaps and thread from my Great Grandmother's collection of stuff, red fabric from my stash, and the vinyl was from a ferret bed bag I swiped from my parents (the vinyl I have is flimsy and wrinkled, and I can use the rest of the vinyl bag for cloth pads). The fabric cost me around $5, I had bought the fat quarter, and since I wanted to use more of it instead of my red fabric, went out and bought another quarter yard. I liked all the ideas I saw on here, but none of them had the clear vinyl slot for id's. So I looked at the one I had, more or less figured it out, and got to work.
showing myself where to sew to get desired pockets
layout sketch, where I want things
directions for myself
opened (the id slot is on the bottom leftish)
on to the tute!!
not seen here is measuring to see how big I want my opening to be, and then measuring to see how much fabric needs to be folded over and sewn. my piece of vinyl is there, to the right, but it's hard to see
so I pinned back the fabric flaps (the pencil line on the right is where I will later sew to get more card slots)
basically, cut out square, draw with pencil how big flaps will be, cut diagonals, fold back, pin
sew on vinyl
Anyway, hope that makes sense, I didn't get before shots because I forgot. I tend to get pretty focused when I'm working. Well, thanks for looking!