I picked up some scraps of fabric from the bulk bin at my local shop for $1 and wanted to see what I could make with them. Lots of hawaiian print. At first, I thought "pockets" since I'm really on a tote gig right now, but then I thought about wallets. So this is my attempt.
Plenty of room for cash, now if only I had some.
I forgot to take a before pic of the fabric, but here's the same fabric in black with the little piece I had left over.
I didn't have any snaps or velcro, so it's just a folder wallet for now with a piece of cardboard between the back and the cash pocket. It'll hold up for now. The pockets, which I didn't measure at all when I started are just the right size for all my cards. A lucky break there!
So what can you make with a $1.10 of fabric that is only 13"x17"? A wallet and still have some fabric left over!
Fabric is some vintage Hawaiian number. I like it because it's got my favourite colour on it: all of them.
Three pockets detail which I smartly sewed onto the bag before I constructed it. I didn't do this with another bag I made and learned my lesson. The best part about sewing is putting pockets everywhere. The size I want them for the stuff I need and how many. This one has my journal, a small book to read, my bike light (I ride to class) and a larger pocket for my yoga clothes.
The top is drawstring closure and after experimenting with some useless pieces of yarn, I went ahead and just made a "string" out of fabric.
This is the 5th bag I have made and it took me about 2-3 hours. I didn't use a pattern.
I made this over the weekend. It's full lined with some brown fabric with pockets on the inside and stripey pockets on the outside.
Not quite done, but getting there, still have the straps to sew on. Which I accidentally made too long and sewed halfway down the middle so the bag wouldn't rest on my hips.
Detail of the straps, probably the best stitching I've done to date.
Progress photo, making sure I had the outer pockets relatively lined up with the outside so they're "invisible".
It really expands more than I thought, as I took it on a grocery run today and I held 3 dozen eggs, bulky vegetables and a week's worth of groceries with enough room to spare for 3 large library books and my beanie. I can't wait until it's beach season.
This is the fourth bag I have made. It took me about 6-7 hours total to do all the cutting, pinning and sewing. Most of that time is when I put a panel on on the wrong side and had to cut it back off.
How do I sew a round piece of fabric to a tube of fabric, such as done for duffel bag ends, yoga bags and drawstring bags? I tried making one today and I ended up with an ugly puffy thing that I had to hand-sew most of it to even get it functional. I tried to sew it around in a circle and I know there's got to be an easier way to do this.
I look around for a few tutorials and one said something about folding the circle to sew a straight stitch across it, but I couldn't figure out how to fold it and where to put the seams.
While I'm here, how do I make the bottom of my bags form that "T" shaped seam at the bottom so they bunch out properly at the sides? I tried folding the seam and sewing across that, but instead of a "T" shape, I ended up with a "Y" shape.
My second bag completed! I actually designed this to be a tote bag, but I stitched it up wrong, so it lays flat instead of rounded like a tote. I also gave myself a lot of room for bad stitches and ended up making it too big because I actually got the stitches right on. So I didn't really know what I was going to use it for until I actually completed it.
Short of nuclear winter, those handles aren't coming off.
I've got room for artpads, projects, brushes and supplies with room left over.
The sides are the hardest thing to sew.
A comparison shot with one of my normal totes for scale.
Closeup of the exterior pocket
It took about six hours, not in a row, to complete. I didn't have interfacing so I used some felt between the liner, which actually worked out quite well and gave it considerable padding.
I got a sewing machine for christmas, so it was time to finally start a few projects I had had in mind, but didn't want to sew one. One was to convert an old rice bag into something a little more solid. This was the result.
Hanging up with my other bags, for some scale
Some progress photos:
The liner is a converted pillowcase
Amateur stitches. I haven't used a machine since high school.
I attached the pillowcase to it and stitched up both sides.
I didn't take a picture, but I included a crotched strap on the inside sewn to the lining with a loop on the end to attach things like a wallet. I also sewed in one of those magnetic clasps at the top. I didn't have enough burlap for the strap that I wanted, so I used an old pair of courderoy pants with the leftover pillowcase fabric.