I've seen a variety of web pages of projects for little potion cabinets and bottles and I decided I wanted to try something like that for myself for Halloween. But I decided to make mine be full size bottles.
I actually thought, in the beginning, that I'd need some friends so to save some glass bottles and jars for me, since I didn't really want to buy any. I didn't think that just my husband and I would be able to come up with enough glass on our own. Boy, I was wrong!
I didn't want to have hand drawn labels on my bottles and jars, because I knew I'd never be happy with how they turned out. Somewhere online, I came across vintage looking Halloween labels and I started saving them. I'm still working on a few other containers, but these are pretty much done.
Wow, excuse the crappy pictures! For some reason, I couldn't get a decent photo of these bottles, no matter what kind of setting I was using. And I actually used my real camera instead of my cell phone!
From left to right: The Swamp Fog jar was a jelly jar in a previous life. For fun, I packed it lightly with Fiber Fill. The Fur of Werewolf jar used to have gravy in it. Now, it's stocked with fur that was shed by my German Shepherd. The Graveyard Dust bottle is actually one I bought because I didn't want all the jars and bottles to look the same. It's got white sand and some shell fragments in it, from Tampa, FL. Last on the right is the Mermaid Scales bottle, which used to have sweet chili sauce in it. It now has cut up rubber fishing minnows in it. Word to the wise: when you buy rubber minnows from Wal-Mart to use them in a project like this, make sure you aren't buying SCENTED minnows. These suckers reek, and unfortunately, I will have to reopen this bottle. I want to add some more minnow pieces to it, and I need to buy one more package. But I did like these minnows: they are two colored, grey on top, silver/white on bottom. All I did was snip them in slices and then I had to put my scissors in the dishwasher.
From left to right: The Powdered Horn of Unicorn was a former hot sauce bottle. Now, it's filled with broken and crushed chunks of white chalk. The Earth Worms jar was a pie filling jar. Now it's filled with rubber sticky fishing worms. The Twisted Twigs jar used to have olives in it. Now, it's filled with small sticks from our maple tree. The Cemetery Dirt jar was a gravy jar in it's previous life. Now, it's got dirt from one of my flower beds in it.
To be on the safe side, I left the jars of dirt and twigs open and sitting on my kitchen counter for a few days, trying to dry them out. I didn't want condensation build-up on the inside of the jars. I printed out the labels at work on the color printer on regular paper and used a glue stick to put them on.
I actually have a couple more bottles at home, that I'm going to be working on soon: poison, human skin and petrified butterflies. I think I'll fill them with iced tea (so I be seen drinking out of it for Halloween), some candied ginger (so I can be seen eating them for Halloween), and some silk butterflies from AC Moore.
But I have so many more fun labels that I want to use, so I probably aren't too close to being done after all. I intend to scatter these around the kitchen and dining room for Halloween as decorations. I figure if I got an early start on them now, then I'd have plenty of them when Halloween rolls around so it wouldn't be a mad scramble at the last minute. My husband was actually surprised that I was starting my Halloween crafts so early this year. I think it's cute I was able to get that kind of honest reaction out of him.