I've had mine in action for over a year now, and they look exactly the same. The polymer clay cleans up with soap and water, and the armature wire is made to go under wet clay so there doesn't seem to be any rust issues.
I live in San Diego so I don't get huge temperature fluctuations, but it is really humid here and gets quite hot without any problems. I imagine they might crack if you left them outside to freeze through the winter, but maybe not. All I can really say is so far so good!
I finally managed to put in the herb garden I've been dreaming about forever, so I figured I had to make some pretty plant stakes in to mark which herb was which.
I made these out of polymer clay and armature wire.
Here's them after they came out of the oven and then had acrylic paint rubbed into the stamped letters.
And here's one in use.
I'm pretty wild about them, but I think next time I'd try to handle them a little less. With the stamping and then bending the wire around them I'm not sure how that's possible, but there must be a way.
My cute little nephew Micah turned five back in May, and because Atti had *just* come home from the hospital and was still on oxygen, I missed his big birthday shindig. I also had no time to make him anything, and I'm committed to giving handmade gifts whenever I can manage it. Particularly to little kids who are so saturated with plastic cartoon toys.
This superhero cape took me about 30 minutes to whip up. The fabric is some kind of a polyester jersey, so I didn't even try to hem anything. I started by sewing the big white circle in the middle, using a huge piece of tissue paper behind the jersey to stabilize it and stop it from stretching. I used fleece I had lying around so once again I didn't have to think about hemming anything. I printed out a giant M on the computer and cut that out of the blue fabric, and then stuck it in place with fusible web. Then I just sewed a quick casing at the top, and used the rest of the blue fabric to make up a tie. Just so I could continue my trend of no hemming, I outlined the M in puffy fabric paint to cover up the raw edges.
I made the tie fairly long since I wanted him to be able to use the cape for awhile, but I also didn't want him to be able to pull the tie out as he was playing, so I sewed through the casing in the middle of the cape. Then he can still gather the cape while it's too big for him, but it won't come out no matter how hard he plays.
My nephew Micah is totally into knights and dragon action figures. Last Christmas his grandpa got him tons of dragons that were a little on the pricey side for a 4 yr old, so he wanted a special bag for them so Micah would understand that these weren't just any old toys.
I had this weird fabric in my stash. I got it at Joann's years ago. It's some kind of a flannel with a plastic treatment on the front to look like snakeskin.
The gold ridges on the side were a total accident from a lazy attempt at piping, but as soon as I saw my happy accident it totally looked like a dragon to me. The monogram is done with fusible web, of course.
I gave this to him last Christmas, and I just now managed to pry it out of his hands long enough to snap a quick, not great, picture. This one was a total success.
Oh I totally cheated nemejia, I didn't paint the letters at all. I painted the stripe using a laser level and my OCD, and then I had a friend of mine who sells vinyl stickers cut the letters out for me. She did them for free as a baby shower gift, but it would probably run you about $80 to have it done.
The font was Century Gothic, bolded, and I just told her I wanted the letters to measure eight inches tall, counting capital letters and tails. When they came back, they were a little bigger than I expected (I think she forgot to include the tails on the lowercase G's and such), but luckily I waited to paint the stripe until after I had the letters in hand, so I just made it a little bit bigger.
The hard part was figuring out the spacing. My math wizard husband did all the work for me. We taped each letter to the wall to see where things ran into corners or windows, and then just averaged out the space between each letter. We managed it with only a modicum of swearing.
$80 sounds like a lot, but I would have paid it. After painting the stripe I realized that if you have any texture on your walls at all, trying to get a crisp edge is tough. Trying to get a crisp edge around a curve would be a nightmare.
Thanks for all the kind words! It's so fun to get a good response.
I did teach myself how to machine applique imagreenegg - it was actually not terribly difficult to get started. I just pulled out the instruction manual to my sewing machine to figure out how to get the stitch effect I wanted, and then I read online that you can use an ironed flat coffee filter as your stabilizer and that worked like a dream. Way cheaper than real stabilizer too.
I decided to do my son's nursery in an alphabet/children's literature theme, so I made this quilt for him. It was my first ever completed start to finish quilt and I'm so beyond hooked now.
It was also my first time playing around with machine applique and I'll definitely have to do that again as well. In fact, I loved making this quilt so much that it's one of the very few projects I could actually see myself doing more than once.