One of my very first sewing projects was an apron refashioned from a pair of jeans inspired by this tutorial
. Of course, I had no idea what I was doing, didn't finish my seams properly, and it eventually fell apart. That was a few years ago and I've come a long way. Aprons are now among my favorite things to sew. I have quite a collection of pretty, frilly aprons I made, but I needed something more rugged for heavy work, like scrubbing tile and gardening. When this challenge came around, I had the perfect opportunity to revisit an old project.
The main body of the apron is made from an old pair of my husband's jeans that have been in the top of our closet for years. The trim, straps, pocket, and cherry appliqué is made from a red fabric with white polka dots that was given to me by a friend from a project she had done. I really wanted to get the polka dots in there. Cherries and polka dots reminds me of 1940's photos, but I can't quite put my finger on why.
I cut off the leg, and cut it open along the back (as opposed to along a seam), and adjusted it to a basic apron shape.
The basic shape with a rough placement of where I want to put the pocket and cherry appliqué:
I placed the binding and straps, then the pocket and appliqué.
And another action shot:
I really didn't love this project the first time I did it years ago, but this time around I'm very pleased with how it turned out.