My first quilt!! I made this for my nephew Eli, so I wanted something for a boy, something unique and modern, and something personal too.
My first thought, was that because I had never made a quilt before and had nothing to go off other than books, it should be easy. I decided a game of tetris would be easy enough, then the thoughts of cool retro games filled my head, Space Invaders and Pacman came up, and I thought Pacman would be easy enough. hahah *coughcoughchoke*
I first decided on the size. I figured the top of the coffee table looked about right for a cot/baby rug, measured it out and divided it by 3 inch squares. From memory, it only ended up being 13 blocks across and 16 tall. Haha I figured 208 blocks wouldn't take me long! It ended up taking 5 months on and off, but I did enjoy it!
Good learning experience! I wanted it to be completely geometric to begin with, and the actual Pacman block, I sewed so many straight edges of yellow material together to get it to look round and have his mouth open. It was my first block and I felt happy when it was done. Then I started on the maze, lots of combinations of 9 one inch squares sewn together to get the various intersections and end bits. By the time I got to the ghosts I had given up on having straight edges and mastered corners around the top of their heads, I was pretty happy with that! I figured I would do the same with the cherries, but it was wayyy to fiddly, and ended up appliqueing sort of square shaped cherries and leaves. I wanted them to look pixelated. I ended up doing applique with the letters and numbers too, sort of felt like I was cheating by this stage, but I am happy with the way it came out. I love the silver materiel I used for the letters, and I even sewed little black highlights to make the font look better.
I couldn't figure out what i was supposed to do with the edges or the quilting itself, and asked the ladies at the material store when I was almost done. I pinned up the quilt and started sewing in the ditch of the maze and around the letters, cherries and figures. It wasn't the smoothest after I was done, i must have not pulled it tight enough sometimes and other times been too tight, and the bottom material didn't line up perfectly with the top of the quilt and somehow some of the stuffing was getting squeezed out one side more than the other, hmmmmm, but in the end I didn't mind it, and I was happy with my choice of using coloured cotton in the bottom bobbin and clear thread in the top!
I was very proud of the edges. I spent most of the day before giving the quilt to Eli and his mum, in the car as a passenger and hand sewed all of it as my deadline was coming at me faster than I expected!
The score at the bottom, as high as it is, also happens to be his birthday