. I started by darkening my cheekbones, jaw line, and under my eyes with the bruise palette. Wounds were created either with toilet paper or scar wax, and affixed with the liquid laytex. I filled the wounds in with thick blood, then attacked them with the bruise palette to make them properly mortal looking.
The food coloring, I actually swished around in my mouth to make my teeth nasty (it only lasts ten or twenty minutes, though), then kind of drooled down my chin. Very attractive, that trick.
Hubble Photos (and most government photo archives, which tend to be public domain what with being taken with public tax dollars) are available in high resolution from an online archive. I just downloaded them, then made prints through a photo-printing service (snapfish, in my case).
Earlier this year, I landed my first career-esque job, and thus got my first apartment all of my own, with no roommates nor boyfriends with which I must share my space. The first thing I did was get a cat, because how can it be home without a cat?
Then I started decorating.
I'm a huge nerd, so the living room quickly took on a space theme. I started by ordering some prints of Hubble pictures (which are, after all, public domain):
And then decided I needed to make some pillows to match. I went to Spoonflower, and with some tweaking and poking about soon came back with this fabric, which quickly became a pair of space-nerd-tastic 16" throw pillows:
I seem to come back to this pattern, the twist-front top from Simplicity 4076, often. I'm sure you'd find multiple versions of it if you poked through my Craftster post history- it's quick, it's easy, and the twisted front is a cute detail.
This time, though, I extended it out to make a quick little dress. It was pretty simple to do:
And it took me less than an hour from fabric to cute new dress!
I took three extra large men's t-shirts I had lying around (as we craftsters typically do) and turned them into a reversible wrap skirt.
It overlaps really, really far (it almost goes around my hips twice), because wrap skirts that blow open drive me nuts.
It's blue on one side, and blue-and-purple on the other. I also curved the edges of the skirt for a little visual interest.
I was going to add some decorative stitching, but instead I totally wimped out. I figure I like it how it is, and if said wimping out really starts to get to me, it's not like I can't put this skirt back under the needle.
So once upon a time (ie: 2008) I walked across Tanzania.
Yes, walked. For almost two months. Did you know you can get blisters inside blisters? I didn't either.
Anyway, every night when I got into camp I would change into comfy pants and my much loved expedition t-shirt. My much loved expediton t-shirt, however, was a men's L:
I am clearly not a men's L. However, I treasured the shirt so much (as one of the few souvenirs I brought back from the trip) that it took me until just this last week, in the early weeks of 2011, to get up the courage to cut into it and make it into something wearable.
Much better! And now I actually get to wear it about, rather than just fold it up and hide it on a shelf for years. I blogged the project here.
I think next month is going to be reconstructed t-shirt month on my blog, so expect to see more of me around here!
When I sew stretch fabrics without a serger, I only use a zigzag or other stretch stitch on seams which go across my body (ie: parallel to the ground). For perpendicular seams, which don't need to stretch over my body, I use straight stitches like any other sewing project. In fact, I've found that using zigzag stitches on perpendicular seams like side seams tends to expose the stitching and look generally unprofessional.
Same with the stretch of the fabric- you want the stretchiest direction to run across your body, and the direction of least stretch (if there is a difference) running up and down.