The pattern is Simplicity 2369, which makes a knit wrap dress at three different lengths and with different sleeve variations.
The fabric is a lightweight (and very soft) gray jersey with a fine yellow paisley printed on it.
My only modification was to make it a touch shorter, and adjust the bust-to-waist ratio a bit, because I do not have the average cup size for my waist. I think it came out really cute, and will work particularly well with some leggings this winter.
Now I get to work on a tunic-length one for a gift.
Or less, if you don't count shopping time. Even less if you're awesome and plan ahead, like I totally didn't.
I spent about $3.50 at the thrift store for a fitted knit shirt and three large or extra large men's t-shirts.
Then I went nuts with the scissors and chalk, and came up with this:
Which, after very little time sitting at the sewing machine trying to keep the cat from eating loose threads, turned into this:
I think it's pretty cute, and would be even cuter if I took a little bit more time to make sure everything fit together without snags or bumps! Still, it's proof of concept. I think I'll make some variations on the idea next: what do you think of a Neapolitan-colored one?
I wrote up a tutorial on zee blog. Let me know what you think!
So I got to work. I made a dress out of brown panne, using Simplicity 9508 view F. I modified the pattern in two ways: I didn't insert a zipper, and I added channels up both side seams that, with the addition of some ribbon, allowed me to gather the dress to whatever length I felt like.
I made the headdress using a knit headband, E6000 glue, and a stack of turkey feathers I just happened to have lying around.
The wings were made with three different types of fabric (one satin, two sheers), then sewn to two panne sleeve tubes to attach them. I wanted the wingtips to extend beyond my fingertips, so I inserted knitting needles into the leading edges of both wings.
That way, I can extend my wings when I want to...
...but my hands are still free when I need them for candy or beer.
The sheet cost me a dollar at the thrift store. The pattern, another dollar. The zipper, another dollar. Thread and such came from my stash, making the total cost of this dress $3.
It was quite a quick and straightforward pattern to sew up (or would have been, if I didn't take a month-long break in the middle of it), and I hope to use it again. Problem is, the skirt is hanging a little oddly. It's kind of... poofy, and buckling oddly at the seams:
I have a good basic knowledge of body and drape, but I feel like I don't actually understand WHY fabric behaves how it does much of the time. The problem is hard to put into words: like I said, I have a basic understanding, but sometimes when sewing I get bunching here or buckling there or poofiness there, and I'm not quite sure why. Once I get a good feeling for the properties and behaviors of fabric, to the point where I can say "I see this problem, and I know how to fix it", then I think I'll consider myself an advanced seamstress.
Until then, my intermediate self will keep playing with thrift store sheets.
I could claim this was a Halloween project, but that would be a lie. I just like my clothing to have a morbid touch no matter the season.
I started with these:
I cut the laces out, then hand-stitched the tongue to the shoe to make a pair of slip-ons with lots of blank space for painting. Then I reviewed my anatomy notes and a quick google or two, and drew the bones of the foot as accurately as I could with pencil.
Zee boyfriend and I obviously have a touch of nerd about us. T-shirt, shorts and all.
Surcoats were in common usage from partway through the 12th to the early 15th centuries. They protected mail armor, both from heating up in the sun and from elements which would cause the metal to rust. They also showed off who a particular knight was, displaying his colors and coat of arms.
You can tell I forgot to iron this thing before taking pictures.
It's the first garment I've drafted and sewn entirely myself -no patterns, no directions, no tutorials. The snake was the hardest part.
This was my first project to include pleats, and while they're not perfect, they're close enough for me.
The pattern, as the topic title implies, is Simplicity 4963. I went by the finished measurements of the garment and not the given sizes, because I wanted to make sure it would hang low on my hips (I cannot STAND high waistbands, as fantastic as they may look sometimes). The fit ended up perfect.
I think it's going to get a lot of wear. It's blogged here, though I don't think there's much there that isn't in this post.