Inspired, of course, by the internets, I decided to pick up the childhood art of knotted friendship bracelets. Only this time, instead of dinky embroidery floss, I busted out this stuff:
Which, in a wonderfully short time (maybe twenty minutes?) came together into this:
They're huge and chunky and wonderful! I love the look; it's nostalgic, but the size seems to add something a little more... modern? That's not the word I'm looking for. Something different and fresh, at least.
Now I've got to figure out what patterns to try with the rest of the thread. What were your favorites?
Yes, those are Erlenmeyer flasks, beakers, and test tubes. The set of cookie cutters includes an atom (well, in the symbolic sense), but I was making cookies for a pile of medical lab techs, and we're more about the test tubes.
I almost made them red, because we all handle tons of blood every day, but I figured no one would eat them. Plus, if I got started down that road, I just know I wouldn't be able to resist making some that were pink and chunky from fat, or brown from hemolyzation, or green from... I don't know what, but I've seen 'em. And down that road lies madness and grossness and other such things. So! Peaceful and calming blue it was.
My favorite cut-out sugar cookie recipe is this one from the Kitchn. They cut out and transfer easily, hold their shapes fantastically through baking (no spreading), and are soft and delicious. Plus, almond extract! Can't go wrong with almond extract.
I'm giving away a set of the Science Lab Cookie Cutters on my blog.
. I started by darkening my cheekbones, jaw line, and under my eyes with the bruise palette. Wounds were created either with toilet paper or scar wax, and affixed with the liquid laytex. I filled the wounds in with thick blood, then attacked them with the bruise palette to make them properly mortal looking.
The food coloring, I actually swished around in my mouth to make my teeth nasty (it only lasts ten or twenty minutes, though), then kind of drooled down my chin. Very attractive, that trick.
Earlier this year, I landed my first career-esque job, and thus got my first apartment all of my own, with no roommates nor boyfriends with which I must share my space. The first thing I did was get a cat, because how can it be home without a cat?
Then I started decorating.
I'm a huge nerd, so the living room quickly took on a space theme. I started by ordering some prints of Hubble pictures (which are, after all, public domain):
And then decided I needed to make some pillows to match. I went to Spoonflower, and with some tweaking and poking about soon came back with this fabric, which quickly became a pair of space-nerd-tastic 16" throw pillows:
I seem to come back to this pattern, the twist-front top from Simplicity 4076, often. I'm sure you'd find multiple versions of it if you poked through my Craftster post history- it's quick, it's easy, and the twisted front is a cute detail.
This time, though, I extended it out to make a quick little dress. It was pretty simple to do:
And it took me less than an hour from fabric to cute new dress!
I took three extra large men's t-shirts I had lying around (as we craftsters typically do) and turned them into a reversible wrap skirt.
It overlaps really, really far (it almost goes around my hips twice), because wrap skirts that blow open drive me nuts.
It's blue on one side, and blue-and-purple on the other. I also curved the edges of the skirt for a little visual interest.
I was going to add some decorative stitching, but instead I totally wimped out. I figure I like it how it is, and if said wimping out really starts to get to me, it's not like I can't put this skirt back under the needle.
So once upon a time (ie: 2008) I walked across Tanzania.
Yes, walked. For almost two months. Did you know you can get blisters inside blisters? I didn't either.
Anyway, every night when I got into camp I would change into comfy pants and my much loved expedition t-shirt. My much loved expediton t-shirt, however, was a men's L:
I am clearly not a men's L. However, I treasured the shirt so much (as one of the few souvenirs I brought back from the trip) that it took me until just this last week, in the early weeks of 2011, to get up the courage to cut into it and make it into something wearable.
Much better! And now I actually get to wear it about, rather than just fold it up and hide it on a shelf for years. I blogged the project here.
I think next month is going to be reconstructed t-shirt month on my blog, so expect to see more of me around here!