well i googled the image, printed it out on my printer, then traced over it with freezer paper. I used a spray fabric paint from Micheals' which cost about $10 for the bottle which isn't that big. Still, it goes a long way, so it's okay. I ironed it down really well, then placed it on the floor and sprayed from about a foot away. It turns out it's REALLY important not to get too close when you spray, because it will find a way to bleed under the stencil. It's better to do two light coats, which my impatience taught me the hard way. Thanks for the compliments!
this is not the pattern i used, but i can't FIND the pattern i used. This will do okay, I think - I used a regular length pattern like this, and extended it, doing four or five 'straight' rows for every decrease (or increase if you use this pattern). I also did not do a spiral, I did row by row .... but I made very sure that the brim was the size I wanted. I'll keep searching to see if I can find the original, but no promises.
each year I try to make christmas ornaments for my parents, my inlaws, and us. Last year was crocheted bells, which I'd rather not attempt again. This year was cheap wood ornaments from the dollar store, paint, new ribbon (organza), and sparklies. The box was another dollar store find, that I painted with a white background, then painted a stylized Flash symbol on it for the husband.
about eight years ago, my mom made these puzzles, which my daughter (who was about three) proceeded to color with crayon over all the painstaking painting I had done. I was so discouraged, I put them away in a box. This year, our son is three and a half, so I dug them out, repainted and SEALED them with acrylic sealer. It makes all the difference.
I give you Mazzik, my husbands' druid in bear form. Cutified, because they don't get this squee on WoW. I made it from a felt blanket, which was the right color and the WORST thing I have ever sewed with. The felt didn't 'stick' together with any sort of real integrity, which made it disintigrate if you pulled too hard or lightly abused the fabric. The pattern was sent to me from Tanza, which was a relief, because I was going MAD trying to find something that looked 'bear' not 'teddy'. So, a huge thank you to Tanza, you are an angel!!