This is actually my husband's idea. He wants me to cut up some of his old t-shirts and use them in argyle design on either a blank t-shirt or a hoodie for him.
Since I didn't want to jump in and use his project for practice, I decided to use some fabric scraps and old tees of my own.
This one didn't go too well. 1) When I outlined the appliques a couple of the edges got away from me. Wouldn't be terribly bad except when I put the t-shirt on, the knit stretched the fabric away from the edge at a couple of tips. Since my husband doesn't have boobs, this wouldn't be a concern for him, but regardless it's sloppy. 2) While it photographed well, the stitching is actually too light so you have to be pretty close to see what we're going for.
This one turned out MUCH better. I played around with my sewing machine (and in the process ended up making a sampler of all the stitches it can do) and found a couple of thicker options. I also like how all the colors contrast on this one best.
Still, while I have it down in theory I still need a little more practice before I do my husband's. I'm going to see the baby of friends for the first time on Thursday, so I figure I can whip up a couple of onesies for her in this style before I go to work out the kinks even more.