For a long time I wanted to make a night gown that would work for me. Long, with a good nursing access, big enough for pregnancy (and after pregnancy) weight and shape, and to be able to wash it a lot (with nursing comes spitting...) without it looking like a washcloth or at least have it cheap enough that I won't care much for it becoming like a washcloth after few months, and still look decent.
My first problem was the nursing access. I kept thinking about making a horizontal one, which is challenging when using a T-shirt. However, after seeing this post: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=103577.0
, I realized I could make a vertical opening and it should hold its shape fine. (Thanks Jesse!)
I made the one below from 2 XXXL T-shirts from the dollar store, so it totaled $2.12. I made the upper part by tracing a loose shirt of mine on one T-shirt, and sewed along the lines. I cut the bottom to make an empire waist (not too high because it's a nursing gown). I cut a slit and attached a panel made from leftovers of the other shirt. It's attached at the top and the middle bottom only. The middle part is gathered at the back. I did pin the parts before sewing. I pinned the part in the back for the gathering.
I meant to add some fabric to the sleeve to make it longer, but it's OK as is. It's not a good picture, I didn't notice I was stretching it while holding it, but you get the idea.