I was given the honor of making the mobile for my best friend's baby. She was thinking of a pirate themed nursery and since I am who I am (slightly crazy) I spent hours browsing the web for ideas. I had this grand plan of making a felt pirate ship in the middle with a palm tree, treasure chest, pirate flag, pirate, treasure map and a shark around it. As I was about to start cutting the felt (I kid you not) I received a text from my best friend saying she was thinking a nautical theme would be better. I almost climbed through the phone and strangled her but seeing as she is carrying my Godchild I held myself back.
Thankfully it did not take me long at all to decide I wanted to make a whale mobile. Once upon a time I had made my niece a whale out of jeans so I went with what I know. My other half, Art, has a need to never throw away any jeans so I took this opportunity to steal two pairs of jeans that needed to be retired 10 years ago. I wanted to the whale to have a lighter belly so two different pairs of jeans were needed. I cut out my pattern and sat down at my sewing machine only to find it did not want to sew any longer...the motor was dead. I am not sure how I managed to kill it but I did.
I really wanted to continue on the mobile so I decided hand-stitching was the way to go. As I was thinking of stuffing the whale I thought it would be cool if the tail and fins could bend and hold shape. I found some pipe cleaners and used them as the stuffing for the tail and fins. I think it turned out well because it makes the whale have more of a sense of motion.
I decided that little fish and driftwood were the finishing touches the whale needed. I went in search of some nauticalish (yup I have created a new word) fabric and came upon a truly hideous tablecloth I got in a grab bag at a church sale. It was a fake patchwork tablecloth straight out of the 70s. The thing was there were a few awesome patches. I then made a pattern of a fish that fit in the cool fabric portion of the tablecloth and hand stitched them shut. I decided that the fish should bend as well so it would look like they are swimming through water. Thankfully I have lots of pipecleaners in my stash.
I really love how it turned out. I haven't seen it in the nursery yet but I have been told by the BFF it couldn't be more perfect!