Another item removed from the "to be finished" pile!
I started this several months ago, and worked on it side-by-side with another applique quilt (a kangaroo). Thanks to some sick time this week (that part sucked actually), and the fact that both babies are now born, I managed to finish them both.
I did the applique with a raw edge, using Lite Steam a Seam to place the pieces. I think in the future I might use a narrower zig-zag stitch.
I love the way the design turned out, but I am less than happy with the quilting. My original intent was to hand-quilt it, but I chickened out at the last minute. I haven't mastered free motion quilting, and I didn't think that stitching straight lines across the flowers would look very good. On other quilts, I have started and stopped the lines on either side of the applique, but there were too many pieces to this one to try to attempt that. I finally decided to sew little pinwheel shapes into it all over. They're still straight lines (therefore "manageable"), but they would fit into the spaces between the flowers.
I was having a million problems with my tension. The top thread is visible on the back side. I tried a thousand things... new bobbin, rethreading, upper thread tension, bobbin tension, new needle... I don't know what I was doing wrong, but I finally gave up trying to troubleshoot and just accepted that it's not going to be perfect.
Some closeups - sorry for the crap quality of the photos. I didn't realize they were so bad until I uploaded them... by that point they were already in the mail.
An embroidered butterfly
The backing fabric
Hopefully the baby and her mom won't mind the imperfections