Really happy with how these came out! The girls had a blast!
First, the Vampire:
I made the dress made by altering Burda pattern 2463 (medieval princess costume). I used black velour for the most of the dress because I was going for comfort. I did make the lower sleeve part sheer for dramatic flow. I am really proud of the dress as I accomplished several "firsts" (first completed project from a pattern, first zipper, first fitted garment)
I found a pretty cool bat themed fabric and I used it for the center bodice panel. It was sheer so I had to line it with plain white. (First I tried red satin, but the combo looked brownish) Here's a detail of that fabric:
I made the cape from just a rectangle of black lined with red. The hardest part was the collar. I wanted it to be really high, ya know, super dramatic. I ended up lining both layers (black and red) with iron-on interfacing and used some thin cotton quilt batting in between! It came out a little on the heavy side, so I used snaps to fasten it to her dress on the front by the neckline.
Surprisingly, the part of her costume that got the most attention was the coffin candy basket
Made from:family size cereal box (cut and reshaped), masking tape, wood grain contact paper, black card stock, black rhinestone beads and a metal tube covered in red electrical tape (I think the tube was from a broken wind chime)
and now . . . not to be overshadowed by her older sister . . . . the Bat with an attitude:
She rocked this costume! This pic was actually taken a dew days before the big night. She couldn't wait to run around in it (and I couldn't wait to snap a few shots)
I found some super cool shiny, stretchy black fabric. It looked like shiny vinyl, but when I checked it out, it was almost sheer and very soft. (hard to describe and wouldn't photograph well up close) As soon as I saw it I knew it was perfect for bat wings. Unfortunately, it was a total NIGHTMARE to sew. I had to scrap my first two attempts and go with simply cutting the wing shape and sewing a strip of leftover velour to the top so I could attach it to the shirt. The back of the shirt had a black triangle of velour sewn to it that the wings attached to. I put a snap where the wings attached to the wrist. Here is a lame attempt to draw an explanation
The coolest and most fun was the hood with ears. I traced a close fitting hood and added some extra in the front so it would go down to her forehead. I used more of the leftover black stretchy velour, put some elastic in the back of the neck seam, all around the face, and a button under the chin so it would stay put. The ears were made from some black drawer liner (think black yoga mat) lined with purple felt. I tried a few paper templates and like the vampire collar decided the bigger the better. Here is a closer detail of the ears:
She is 4 and my hubby and I decided this is the most fun age for trick or treating!
p.s. The finished products were well worth all the frustration, cursing, late night insanity, seam ripping, trips to the craft store, online searching for ideas, and yes. . . .ONE VISIT TO THE ER! Somehow I managed to SEW THROUGH MY FINGER ON THE MACHINE. I broke the needle and the tip was stuck in the tip of my finger. I managed to extract it with tweezers, but had to goto the ER for a tetanus shot and an xray to make sure there was no more needle pieces in my finger. This happened Friday afternoon and I was back on the machine a few hours later to finish up some last minute details.