... to glass tile pendants. I can't get enough of them and was purchasing them at every local craft fair, but was frustrated I could never find the style I wished. So, of course I learned how to make them.
My first batch, using magazine images:
My batch of "I just figured out how to do book pages"
I've also made some using images printed from my computer:
and scrap book paper, but haven't taken photos yet. I'm going to try some with my own original artwork on them, just as soon as I figure out how to seal the gauche to my satisfaction!
Okay, so I'm *fairly* sure I've completed these. They've been sitting for a while whilst I debated adding background color to them (what do you think?), but I'm so afraid of ruining them. These matryoshkas are based off of BBC's Sherlock.
They aren't as perfect as I'd like, but I've never done characters on a curved surface before. They were sketched, inked and then painted with gauche. Definitely a learning experience, but such an undertaking I have yet to re-try the set. I found the doll bases at a thrift store, and need to order some online, because it was really fun, even though it was challenging (or maybe because it was?).
So, this is my second ever "hoopla" that I've made. My husband's aunt is retiring, and just got accepted into the Master Gardener program, so I thought it would be a nice way to commemorate. I wish the stitching had been a bit more even, but I think it still turned out lovely.
So, I've been carrying around this recolored picture from Neil Gaiman's Sandman comics, I think it was from the sample at Free Comic Book Day before the Absolute Sandman came out to show the recoloring. Anyway, I've always wanted to make some sort of dream journal out of it.
I finally felt like I had enough practice with the coptic stitch to give it a go, because I wanted to have it with the spine exposed. I also wanted to do it with cardstock, even though I usually bind with letter press, because I did a book for a friend where that worked out lovely for multi media journaling.
Here's the cover. I got a little excited with the glitter.
And the spine!
And the experimental embellishing of the inside cover and first page:
My friend Astrid wanted a journal from me for a little while, so I finally made her a coptic stitched leather finished journal. The bead markers are mostly purchased, although the acorn I made out of Sculpey.
Since she's starting a journey of connecting to her creative, spontaneous side, I started her off with some embellishments, to get her inspired. Something I am less than happy about is how the stitches on the cover boards sit, but that comes from being out of practice for a bit.
So, I'm getting into the polymer clay thing, so I've been doing a few busts. This was for the Repo! The Genetic Opera Swap round 3. The cool thing about it was my husband went out the next day and bought me some sculpting tools (I've been using an exacto knife and a pointy stick)... so I'm looking forward to trying dolls next instead of just busts.
The process is below. Sculpted with Super Sculpy and painted with gauche then sealed.