A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
November 17 News: WOW!  Congratulate the winner of DIY Halloween Costumes 2015!
Total Members: 313,043
Currently Running With Scissors:
419 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

  Show Topics
Pages: [1]
1  HOME SWEET HOME / Crafty Housewares: Completed Projects: Reconstructed / Swiffer cover from two old dish towels (lots of pictures) on: January 18, 2010 04:19:59 AM
One of my 2010 resolutions is to reuse stuff around the house, rather than go out and buy new stuff.  My MIL gave me a bunch of old dish towels she cleaned out of her kitchen after Christmas, so I've been itching to use them for something other than cleaning rags.  

From one of the featured articles, I found this pattern for sewing your own Swiffer cover: http://berlinswhimsy.typepad.com/berlins_whimsy/2009/10/swiffer-cover-sewing-pattern.html.  I had long lamented that those little swiffer diapers don't reuse easily (I know you aren't supposed to reuse them at all, but sometimes I try to stretch that a little), so what better way to start in on my new year?

I almost immediately saw my problem.  The pattern assumes you have one sort of Swiffer, but mine is the sort that shoots out fluid and has a scrubber on the side, like this:

My solution? Cut down the tab on one side to accommodate the scrubber.   I'm not sure if my scribbly numbers are legible, but pretty simply I adjusted one side by 1.5 in. (this includes a seam allowance of 1/2 in. like in the original pattern).   Note that the center, which will be against the floor, is still the same length and width.

The end result, post construction, looks like this:

Please pretend that I have some lovely buttons attached to this to finish it off.  My machine died just as I was starting my button holes, so I have yet to decide if I just want to hand sew on some velcro, or take the time to hand sew the button holes like I intended.  
2  SEWING IN GENERAL / Sewing Machines: Discussion and Questions / Bernina 1008 issues on: October 07, 2009 06:43:19 PM
So I've had my Bernina for about 10 years, no problems.  It's been a little neglected recently, and projects have been piling up, so I took it out, cleaned and oiled it, and started in on some things.  All for naught. For some reason now, the top thread seems to be arbitrarily deciding to change it's tension.  One minute it's too tight, which yanks on the thread spool, and the next it's so loose it's getting tangled around the arm (the part that goes up and down on the front), or getting looped under the bobbin thread and tangling/breaking on the underneath of whatever I'm sewing.  I've followed the manual's suggestions of getting the correct size needles, making sure I'm using new, quality thead, and I know the machine is clean.  Any suggestions?  It really seems like the tension control isn't doing it's job; on some test runs, changing the tension settings didn't seem to have any effect.
Pages: [1]

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Draw a Barbie Doll
The Benefits of Using DNG in Lightroom
Rendering Previews in Lightroom
How to Draw an F22 Combat Aircraft
How to Draw Fanboy from Fanboy and Chum Chum
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Spinach Feta Breakfast Quiche
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide: Asymmetric Cowl
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide: Felt Basket

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...

Powered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.11 | SMF © 2006-2009, Simple Machines LLC
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal
Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!

Copyright ©2003-2015, Craftster.org an Internet Brands company.