please post more details, how do you finish off the back of what hangin in the foam? (ive never felted anything before, so i dont even know the process) what type of yarn do you use?
Hi bee and VaguelyVogue,
Here are some directions I came up with. I didn't have a new project I was working on, but I took photos of my felted tote as if I was going to put a heart design on it, and I'll include a different picture of my latest kitty design on a felted bag. There shouldn't be anything hanging in the foam because you are just using it as a backing. The yarn all goes directly on top of your item, in this case, bag.
1. First, you must have a bag or other item that you have ALREADY felted. You can find directions on how to felt on http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEwinter03/FEATfelthis.html
2. Then, you put foam under whatever you want to put your design on. In the case of a bag, you put it inside the bag.
3. Lay down a piece of yarn to create a line of a design you want to make (in this case, half of a heart design)
4. Stab piece of yarn with a felting needle to get it to stick to object. You poke just hard enough to go through the bag and into the foam. First, just poke in key places to make it stick. Then poke all over to make it really stick. You must experience this to believe it. It doesn't seem like it would work, but it does!!
5. If you like it, keep going, and add more yarn to create a design, and keep stabbing. If you need to rearrange yarn, it's easy to pull out at this point. But do so with tweezers, not the felting needle because they are fragile and might break. Just use them for stabbing.
6. Since this was just a demo, here is my latest and most favorite kitty design that I put on a felted bag:
Let me know if you have more questions, and I'll try to answer them! Good luck and let me know how it goes! Best, Slick