OK, so, I'm reading everyone's posts and thinking: "Wow, they did a spectacular job!" I keep forgetting that I've got pics of some of the stuff I've done (with a LOT of help from DH!)
This hide-a-bed was 20 years old; the fabric was getting raggy and stained and the cushions had been torn due to the springs on the hide-a-bed. DH gave this sofa to me as an engagement present (I didn't want a diamond -- I wanted something useful!) and we'd loved it to pieces, quite literally. We'd wanted to reupholster it for a couple of years but it took a LONG time to find fabric we agreed on. (He's into dark neutrals; for me, the brighter, the better!)
At the start:
I carefully took the old upholstery apart and used it for pattern pieces (17 in all for the back); the foam seen in the "before" picture was all replaced and new foam purchased for the seat cushions as well, as the old stuff was starting to degrade.
DH also reconstructed part of one end of the frame, as the wood had split and the front was sagging near the leg. Once we got it apart (you can see the hide-a-bed part leaning against the wall in the "before" pic), I was astonished at how little there is to a couch frame! It's all fabric and padding!
I also took pictures throughout the entire deconstruction process and wrote PAGES of notes, so that everything would go back together in the right order.
Once the back was assembled, the only other sewing involved were the pleats around the front of the arms and the seat cushions. Most of the reassembly was done with straight pieces of fabric and foam and a staple gun!
The fronts of the arms are still unfinished. I made upholstered pieces for the ends as per the original, but DH offered to make some wood pieces to match the coffee table. Lovin' that idea!
And the throw pillow was stitched from a couple of napkins I found at Pier One and a pillow form from Jo-Ann's. The napkins had a satin finish on one side and a sueded finish on the other, so I used one of each for the outside of the pillow and now it's reversible!