This is my first year teaching art, and I have three 3D Design classes coming up this semester. Although my degree is in Studio Arts, I mostly work in 2D, so I've been having a bit of difficulty coming up with ideas for my 3D classes....also, the school has very little money in the budget for art (read: NONE!), so I have to be creative. Additionally, the school is very small and in a rural area, so many of the kids I teach have had little exposure to art....
Here are a few project ideas I've come up with so far:
- pop art papier mache food
- soft sculpture using felt or other fabrics
- ceramic boxes (thank God we DO have clay and a kiln!)
- ceramic masks decorated with beads, shells, etc.
- junk/found object sculpture
- wire sculpture
- altered books (kind of a cross between 2d & 3d, but oh well...)
- small-scale box installations (think Joseph Cornell -- but where to get 55 boxes??)
Any other ideas/suggestions/comments would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks!