Our pup has a very dark coloured coat, so I worry that walking in the dark (as it is now coming into winter here in New Zealand), he may not be seen if for some reason he were to accidentally get off his leash. So, I upcycled my hubby's old work hi-vis vest, to two vests for the dogs.
This one is the puppy's one, it has a big hem with another reflective stripe, so it can be let out as he grows:
Here they are modelling them:
and the backs:
Not sure how to stop them slipping around and flapping up at the back tho. I initially had the smaller one (Snoopy's) with the belly strap further forward, but moved it back to stop this. Rocky's one can't be moved back, coz he'd piddle on it!
Our house has a bay window seat, it had a gross cushion on it that I've just left, as hunting for the perfect fabric takes time! Last week I finally managed to find that perfect fabric! yay! We've recently redecorated the main parts of our home, including the lounge - where said window seat is, so it was looking rather sad compared to the rest of the redecorated lounge. SO, on Saturday afternoon I took the old cover off the cushion, (and I then realised how dirty, faded and perished it was!), I unpicked the 3.3m long zip off it, to save some money I thought I'd re-use it. I then cut up the old cushion cover to make a pattern for the new one. I managed to get the whole thing completed on Saturday afternoon, and worked out that I sewed 31 metres! I'm really stoked with how it turned out. Here's the finished project:
excuse the horrid old lounge suite also in the pic... but hey, it does the job!
a close up showing the fleck in the fabric and the fleck in the curtains
And I even had enough fabric left to reupholster our old foot stool, which took all of about 10 minutes:
next project... re-upholstering our dining chairs!
And I thought I might be clever enough to make one along those lines. She doesn't know if she is having a boy or a girl, so I've made it as gender-neutral as possible! It was my first ever attempt at applique, and I was lucky enough to have some great tips from my mother in law Here's the finished project:
folded up into it's travel size:
and a close up of each segment: The caterpillar, I just used standard quilting fabrics for him
The butterfly, it's wings are velvet and have plastic inside so are crinkly, the centre is fluffy, and the white cloud is puffy (filled with fat quilt batting)
The ants are made of sparkly black velvet. I wasn't sure about them, but couldn't think of anything better!
The dragonfly also has a fluffy centre, his wings are satin ribbon and only sewn down the middle, so are 'flappy' for the child to play with. And again, a puffy cloud.
The flowers are all different textures, with loose taggy 'leaves' off the stems
The ladybug is just made from standard quilting fabric
The sun has flappy 'rays', and the centre is a sequinned type gold fabric - I checked (pulled and scratched at it) to make sure it was child safe!
And the watermelon, the red is nylon, so makes a scratchy sound if you touch it, and the 'rind' is gathered satin ribbon.
I went to a 'Crafternoon Tea' today, and came home inspired to sew some wee baby hats! I had some scraps of fabric left from old tops that don't fit me anymore, and some merino that I'd bought
The two blue ones are a soft synthetic fabric, that I cut out of a top that didn't fit me anymore, same with the brown one, the lace is from the bottom edge of the top. The charcoal grey one is merino, so altho it looks tiny, it is very stretchy. I will have to make some more merino wool ones with the knots - coz the knotted ones are so cute!
Very easy, each hat took 10min, including cutting out the fabric!
I made my first quilt at the beginning of 2010 for a friend's baby shower present. Then I found out that my sister in law was having a little girl, my first neice... so, I decided to make a quilt for her baby shower present! My sister in law isn't a pink girly girl, so decided to use purples and greens. Unfortunately the colours in the pictures aren't perfect, I've tried to touch them up with Photoshop. Anyway, you get the general idea.
Front with corner folded over:
Please excuse my wonky lines that you can see on the back, I was so focussed on getting the lines straight on the front I couldn't be bothered trying to fix up the back!
This was my first try using my walking foot, it took a fair bit of fiddling, pinning, unpinning, re-pinning etc!
I have just completed my first attempt at sewing a quilt for my friends' baby, due at the end of August. It was her baby shower yesterday and I gave her the present there I also made a cot bumper pad, as I had leftover quilt patches. I found the idea for the quilt on an 'Oh Fransson' blog somewhere, but now I can't find it, typical! All of the fabrics for the quilt top are cotton, bought from Spotlight, the backing of the quilt is minky fabric, so I put it on after quilting the top & batting, and it is just knotted on in a few places to stop it moving too much. The binding is satin, and was SUCH a mission to sew, as it wriggles around sooooo much.
Yesterday I threw a baby shower for my friend Emma (who posts on here, tho I am not sure of her craftster login!), 30 of her friends attended, so it was a big fun do! Here's a pic of the cake that I made for her, it was a carrot cake the size of a roasting dish! I used lemon icing (no cream cheese for preggy people!), and the pram is made of licorice, with pink smokers for the hood.
I also made a baby quilt and bumper pad, but I will put those pics in the quilting section