This was a project we did for an opera last summer. Cutting the stencils and making the frames took a few days, but we did the actual stencilling in two days. We used fabric paint and an automotive spray gun for this project. The idea was to make the fabric look like some kind of crazed patchwork of brocade-style patterns.
This image is a bit blurry, but it does show the scale we were working in...
Here we are lining up the pattern. We built frames around our stencils to avoid over spray, and to help us line up the images.
Here, you can see the scope of this project. We had four different designs, and very particular rules about how they were all supposed to fit together. We made two stencils for each image, so that one could be drying while we were spraying the other one.
We used the brown kraft paper as a sort of stencil's stencil, and weighed the paper down with wooden chairs. The room we were working in was screened in, but didn't have any walls. So our paper tended to blow away if we didn't hold it down. You can see n the lower right part of the picture that we have sprayed only half of the image on the silk, and used the kraft paper as a masking.