Hi, this is my first time to post a project and it seems like I have spent all day trying to figure this out. I have been fascinated by the challenges and finally decided to try one. I had no idea what I was going to make when I ventured into our closest Dollar Tree store (about 25 miles away). There were so many things, so many ideas. I finally decided on this purse, brain protector and shoe ensemble:
I used from Dollar Tree:
3 round straw place mats (2 f/purse, 1 f/brain protector)
1 oblong green place mat (1 f/purse sides, shoes, leaves, + some of the beads on shoes)
3 chair cushion covers (for purse lining, brain protector crown & flowers)
1 clothes line (purse handle - only used about 1/3rd of it) 1 pai
r of kids flip flops (they were out of adult)
Materials from home:
lots of glue & thread
sheet of newspaper - small piece of card board
2 cardboard long round things from a clothes hanger from the laundry
1 round velcro dot
I cut the green place mat into 4 strips, sewed two strips together and sewed to the sides of two straw placemats for the side of the purse. I glued a 3"x5" piece of cardboard to the bottom of the green (inside the purse) to help it keep its shape. I removed all the stitching from one chairpad cover and used it for the lining. The second chairpad cover I removed the thin foam lining but left the zipper, and I used this for a pocket in the purse. I made two patch pockets on the other side of the purse. and I stitched the side lining about four inches down so I would also have a pocket on each side. So I have 4 small pockets, 1 large pocket and 1 zippered pocket inside the purse. I braided the rope for the handle and threaded it through the hanger cardboard rolls for added support to the sides. I don't like this handle though and will probably change it, probably get another green placemat for the handle.
For the had I cut out the middle. For the crown I used newspaper and glue to make a form then covered it with foam from the chairpads and then covered that with the chairpad material. I made a bow and flowers from the scraps. For the shoes I removed the plastic thong part and glued strips for the straps over the foot then added the strips to the toe hole and glued under the green strip I used beads left over from the place mat and sewed them on the straps.
I hope this made sense, If not, please ask questions. Thanks for looking. I hope you enjoy it.