With the exception of my first poppet (which I wasn't very happy with), all of the poppets I've made have been for someone else. So I decided to finally make one for me!
I used pretty doll eyes I bought for something else and never used, and I like the look, but unfortunately she's got a lazy eye! This was also my first time I've made lips for a doll, which I did by embroidering over folded pipe cleaners. She has wire in her ears to make them poseable. Her hair is that curly-looking "homespun" yarn that I separated and combed through, and it's very soft!
She's wearing a simple stretchy cotton dress with lace trim.
With my other poppets, both of which I received in swaps.
I made this bra and belt set for my first solo performance at a hafla yesterday. I started the belt several months ago with no real plan, but once I signed up for the hafla I buckled down and finished it.
The coins are actually silver, but the lighting in my living room makes them look more gold.
The belt. This costume was really painful to make - I got spasms in my hand from twisting all of the jump rings on the belt, and the blunt end of the needle left a hole in my finger from sewing the coins on to the bra.
I bought these pendants at Michaels, and fancied them up with some nail polish (they were just silver), and added the longer set of bells and the bead. There's one in the center of the bra, and four on the belt.
The back. I made some costumes years ago that don't fit anymore because I gained weight, so I wanted to make both parts of this costume adjustable. My dress form isn't sized right, and the belt fits much better on me.
I don't have any action pics because the pictures my husband took are all blurry. If I get some, I'll add one.
Unfortunately part of the front chain on the belt broke right before I went on stage (which I didn't realize until after my performance), but oh well. I was able to fix it before my second performance, with my class.
This weekend I made a monster stuffie as a baby present (the one on the left). This was my first time making a stuffie, and my first time sewing with faux fur (ugh). When it was done my husband asked for one For his I made the body less round, made feet and attached the legs separately in the hope that he'd stand on his own (he doesn't), and added teeth (at my husband's request; I thought he looked cuter without them). It's hard to see in the pictures, but they have stubby little claws on their hands. I think they're pretty cute
For Halloween this year, I was a Companion from the Firefly/Serenity Universe. I wasn't one of the characters from the show, I just dressed as I thought I might I might if I was a Companion.
I made everything for this costume: corset, jacket (which is made out of dupioni silk and is much more pretty in person), skirt (which is two layers, chiffon over a lining), necklace, and earrings, and I also re-covered the shoes, which used to be silver.
The patterns I used were: Simplicity 3921 for the jacket, Simplicity 5006 for the corset, and Butterick B5419 for the skirt.
This was my first time making a corset, and it does have some wrinkles but overall I was quite pleased.
I received my hoop from jemimah today, and it is absolutely gorgeous!
I requested an international partner (I have dreams of a house full of handmade crafts from around the world), and asked for something inspired by her country/culture. She wrote that this hoop is inspired by New Zealand, Maori art, the colors of the sea and bush (blue and green are my favorite colors), and greenstone/jade carving. The shapes come from the fern frond, which is said to represent new life and growth, and the hammerhead, said to represent strength. It's done in couching and coral stitch, neither of which I've tried before. The tinting is even prettier in person.
This is a wedding gift for some friends of mine who met in Japan, and love Japanese style and culture. It's mostly stem stitch, with seed stitch for filling and split stitch for the hair. I'm pretty happy with it, but wish I had done some things different; I also worked it much faster than usual because their wedding is quite soon.
I found the line drawing somewhere online with a google image search, and printed it straight on to a piece of ivory silk dupioni I had. She's about nine inches tall.
Unfortunately it was hard to get good pictures, I waited until it was in the frame before taking pics, and my camera's macro function is messed up.
I made this poppet for katara in the Poppet / Amigurumi Swap, and wanted to keep her for myself! She's definitely my favorite poppet I've made.
I handpainted her eyes, and her ears are poseable. Unfortunately the lashes I used started to fall apart, so I hope they were still intact when she made it to katara!
This shows her dress(es) better.
Her underdress doubles as a nightgown. She's also got lacy bloomers under there
I used this tutorial: http://www.cdhm.org/tutorials/making-fairy-wings.html to make her wings. It took me about 5 tries, until I realized that regular metal wire was never going to stay glued properly. I planned to make them larger, but the fantasy film is really narrow. I was really worried about shipping the wings, and decided to make them removeable so I could wrap them up separately. They attach by magnets - the outside piece is covered with the skin fabric, and the wings are glued on. The inside piece is glued inside her back, so she looks completely normal when they're removed (well, there is a small lump).