So I needed another bag. This time I needed something a bit smaller - the duffel was huge. I found this awesome tutorial here at craftster and decided to give it a go, because it's different than any type of bag I have made before and I like a challenge. I had a lot of problems (because I wasn't paying attention, not because of the tutorial. It was a zipper issue.) and ended up having to trim the front and back panels. I had already sewn on the pockets so after trimming they ended up being out of proportion and the smaller patch pockets ended up tiny. I also added side pockets to the gusset. I think it turned out quite nice in spite of my issues. There is a good sized zipper pocket on the inside too. (Edited to add a link to the tutorial: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=42927.0#axzz2aeXLqJcP)
So anyway, my 9-year-old son saw it and immediately wanted me to make him one in camo. I think his turned out way better and he loves it. I still need to add a removable shoulder strap with shoulder pad to his but I like the way it turned out. His is a bit bigger, 'cause I didn't have to trim his - I was paying attention. There are 5 full sized towels in there now and probably room for at least one more. I have promised him a manly toiletries bag that matches.
It's been a while since I made myself a bag. I saw this pattern and had to have it. The purple fabric is a suede like bottom-weight fabric and the pattern is the Skirt Bag from Keyka Lou. Love it. The only thing I changed was the strap - the pattern calls for nylon webbing, but on this bag I think the fabric strap works better. The other thing I would suggest if you have larger hands, I would make them a bit bigger.
This one is a bag I made for a friend for Christmas. It's the Lickety Split Bag from Made by Rae. I lengthened the strap so she can wear it cross body.
I'm so proud of this bag. I was so intimidated by it when I started, but now I may make a couple more for my boys to carry, maybe in a smaller size. This thing is really big, easily big enough for a few days out of town. First time I've ever quilted anything but I love what it does for the bag. The only thing I would change is to add another side pocket and maybe make that front pocket a little less deep. This fabric is so yummy I bought some more to make a tote from as well as a make up bag. Oh the pattern I used was Simplicity 2600.
I just finished this one. I've had this fabric for a while, trying to decide what to do with it. It was just too darned cute for just a bag liner. Four big patch pockets on the inside and an inset pocket there in the front with the wooden button. The rectangular rings were upcycled from our trampoline enclosure when it disintegrated.
Here's a close-up (please pardon the fur on it. I had to shove my dog off it while it was lying on the couch.)
Here's another I just sort of threw together for the heck of it. I know the closure looks crooked but it isn't I promise.
My new machine has been doing well and I made a bag for my best friend yesterday. I've been working on a bag today. It's pleated on the bottom piece with an attached yoke. Here's the problem - I want to top stitch the yoke, but I have to go over the thicker part of the bottom piece where the pleats are. Every time I hit those areas I get skipped stitches. It's stitching fine otherwise. I've changed the needle but it's still doing it. Any suggestions?
I made this from my own pattern. I really love how it turned out but it's a little bigger than I'd have liked. I think if I use the pattern again, I'd take off 2-3 inches from the bottom part of the bag. Also the strap is a bit longer than I'd like. There are 3 pockets inside. One inset pocket secured with velcro (cause I'm too lazy for a zipper today.), a cell pocket and a general sized pocket. I got a new sewing machine last week, so I'm in a sewing frenzy these days.
I made this bag for my mom for Mother's Day. I struggled a bit with the pattern placement, but I think it came out pretty well. I ended up using a piece of vellum cut in the shape of the bag to pick the portion of the panel. There are several pockets, including one on the front that is inset and 4 slip pockets on the inside. Initially I was thinking of putting on a flap, but I like this better.
Do I really need another bag? Ha! Of course, I really loved this Hobby Lobby fabric. I made is as sort of a prototype for one I want to make for my mama. Hers will be bigger and with a flap possibly and an adjustable strap. I think it came out pretty well. The Darts on the bottom are a bit out of whack - I must not have lined them up very well. The other option was to make the yoke seams off center which would have been worse. It's also my second attempt at a recessed zipper (the first was an utter disaster.) and this time I actually followed the directions.
Ummm. My fourth bag in two weeks. I'm going to have to do something with all these bags . . . LOL. This is the first from my own pattern. As you can see, I like denim a lot and I thought the pleats added a bit of girliness to an otherwise edgy fabric. I used heavy craft interfacing on it, which made it a bit challenging to sew through.