I never in my life thought I would make an ATC. Recently I learned about making image transfers with clear packing tape, and suddenly making ATCs seems really appealing. These are my first two cards. They are admittedly sloppy/crazy, but I really like the spontenaity and imperfection of them. I find they are bringing out my irreverent/juvenile sense of humor. I don't know if I will ever trade them, but the idea of sending totally goofball ATCs to my friends out of the blue seems fun. My older brother, who loves fart jokes, seems to be my ATC muse.
My very first card, King Hoppy, was a total mistake. I tried transferring an image of a king to fabric, and it totally faded and smeared. (Since then I found out what I did wrong.) I tried outlining the image, which looked horrible, and then I decided instead of throwing it away to experiment with layering on transparent images. I gave him a kangaroo head, a keyhole breastplate, a sceptre, and then glued on sequin jewels and an orb. As crazy as it is, I love it anyway.
My second card is for my afore-mentioned older brother. As kids we used to catch horned lizards (we called them horny toads) and they can squirt blood from their eyes as a defense. When I saw a drawing of a horned lizard (horny toad) squirting blood from its eyes, I knew I had to make a card from it and send it to my bro. For both cards, I used old playing cards as a base.
I don't claim to be an artist in any sense, but I sure am having fun with these. I have a couple more in the works, including one with a fart joke especially for my brother. Even though I will turn 40 this year, it's fun to have discovered a medium that allows me to access my inner 12 year-old.
I finally finished my ladybug yarn! I finally finished my ladybug yarn!! As you'll see, I took a very literal approach when it came to the ladybug spin-along. I've been really wanting to spin a yarn with buttons and silk flowers for a long time, so this was a great chance to do that.
I used a sparkly green yarn as the base (Caron Simply Soft Party), really strong variegated cotton thread to ply, ladybug buttons, and disassembed silk flowers. The sliding hook on my flyer was too small for the big stuff, so I had to attach a keyring to the flyer with a rubber band, and it worked fine.
I have the finished yarn of an in-process skein I showed a few weeks back. It's 153 yards thick and thin singles, handpainted merino. I don't have a name for it yet, but it is the squishiest, snuggliest yarn! It's also the first yarn I've spun in quite a while, and it feels good to be back to spinning again.
Hello! I meant to post these before valentine's day, but better late than never.
I went to the dollar store a couple of days before valentine's day, planning to just buy a couple of boxes of valentine cards and perhaps some pencils or lollipops to go with them. While there, I spied the silk flowers, floral tape and a felt heart valentine wreath, and decided to make flower-topped pencils instead.
Each "flower" is a pencil with a floral stem attached. On each stem, I put on one of the felt hearts from the garland with "From, Remy" printed on each one. To bring them to school, we wrapped the whole bunch in paper, just like at the florists.
With winter in full force here in Minnesota, I really enjoyed the cheerful little bouquet with hearts for the couple of days before we brought it into school. It only cost a couple more dollars than I would have spent on the boxed cards, and I think it was much more fun.
I have a finished object to share, from a yarn I spun ages ago and just finally figured out how I wanted to use it.
First the yarn, Raspberry Puff, which I spun last year:
The yarn is a blend of merino and corriedale, which I blended a couple of different ways. I combed some of that, found it tedious, and made faux rolags for the rest, which seemed much faster and more fun. (Now a drum carder would be most fun of all, but since I don't have that, faux rolags it is.) It's plied with a mystery fiber raspberry yarn from a thrift store.
I used the yarn to make an earflap hat. I only had 90 yards of the yarn, and used every last inch of it for the hat. (Sorry the photo quality is not great. I can't get a decent self-portrait and my 6 year-old refuses to model for me anymore.)
Here's a link to the hat pattern. It's quickly become my favorite way to use up small skeins of bulky yarn: http://www.lionbrand.com/patterns/cwe-earflapHat.html
I found the sweetest set of vintage animal embroidery patterns in the Hoop Love group on Flickr, and just knew I had to stitch them up for a friend who just had a baby. They are embroidered on birdseye flat diapers, 36" square, which were just about my favorite all-around baby item with my son. (Swaddling blanket, burp cloth, changing table cover, diaper...just super useful!)
Zebra with sunflower:
Bunny with carrot:
Lion with periwinkle:
Giraffe with morning glory:
There are two more I want to embroider for her. Maybe I'll end of making those up for the first time I go to meet the baby.
Here's my first attempt at a sock monkey. I made it for one of my son's teachers, who just recently had a baby. It was a lot of fun to make, and I might have to try making some other sock creatures. I used the instructions in the good 'ole Pack-o-Fun "How To Make Sock Toys" book by Edna Clapper. Maybe the elephant will be my next project.
After long last, I finally have something to contribute to Fiber Friday. It's 366 yards of super-soft corespun yarn from a mixed batt. The batt, "Sick Day", is from Gritty Knits and contains merino, bamboo, seacell, tencel, firestar, shetland, corriedale, tussah silk and carder scraps. The batt was just 2 oz, and I really focused on just drafting the tiniest amount possible to corespin, and I'm really pleased I got 366 yards out of it.