This is my very own Blood-drop Orchid...and it comes complete with a Pharaonic curse.
The flowers are paper, layered and inked. The stem and roots are made of strips of paper twined together. The hand is telephone wire at its core, and then paper machied and covered with inked craft paper. If anyone wants to see pictures of the hand in its various stages I can post those as well.
Pictures from inside the hand:
Sorry there aren't more of these...I got too excited once I started getting everything covered in layers of paper to stop to take additional pictures.
It's a clock, done in paper (if you want to be technical, the core is cardboard, and the clock components are real...metal and plastic, I would assume). The artwork was all done by hand, by me, with an ultrafine Sharpie. The rest is lots of glue and folding...the cabinet is really just a simple box, only with six coffiny sides instead of four. The top was cut to fit and then edged with more stripped paper. The shininess comes courtesy of Mod Podge. Now to the pictures.
Here we have the vampiric Eliza, paper-clad (yes, all her clothing is paper with ink details) and waking from sleep. The doll is 70's vintage (that's the best I was able to gather from her old clothing, which got thrown out before I could get pictures. *sigh*) and all I really did was give her new clothes and retouch her face and fingernails with black paint. Her eyes, once blue, are now red. It should go without saying that making the clothing was the most difficult part of the exercise, given that paper and cloth, while both flexible, have very different properties. Eliza took a lot of trial and error (and taught me that corset construction is far from simple) along with a fair amount of paper and glue. If anyone wants to see more pictures, especially colour photographs, please let me know.
Here we have the first finished result of my foray into making cardboard bend to my will, and then covering it in paper and other...things. I made the coffin with a template I drew out, glued in the lining, joined the corners with paper, covered the sides, and then covered the edges with paper and ribbon (my cutting and folding around corners is not yet what it could be). I still need to edge the back, but otherwise, this is a finished coffin.
I decided to take a break from making people and try something more floral (as in plant life in general, and not flowers in particular) and out of this attempt came this flower with the unblinking peeper. I love it. The construction is along the same lines of the people I've made, only I had more technical challenges to overcome in the areas of weight, stability, and structural integrity. In the end I did a lot of strategic reinforcing and finally resorted to weighing down the base with pennies (fourteen cents in all) so that the entire thing wouldn't fall over. That blossom is heavier than it looks. Now, without further ado...pictures of a "Black-eyed Susan"
UPDATE: I added a base with some height to make the flower a bit more visable. It's cardboard covered in paper, and ink...and mod podge.
Okay...I know I said that the last one was the last one...but I'm very pleased with the way the latest venture turned out; pleased enough, in fact, to inflict it on all of you. World, meet Eva and her primary mode of transportation, a monstrously large, but obligingly docile beetle. He (anyone want to suggest some names?) is the closest thing to a tank my paper army can boast, at present.
This is likely the last paper person I'll post here for a while...I just wanted to get my first few up in the name of getting a bit of feedback. Without further ado, I give you Lady M., Professional Femme Fatale. She is a testament to sketch, cut, trace, cut, glue, more tracing, and yet more cutting and glue. She's evil, quite probably dangerous, and I'm very proud of her, especially her eight arms, which gave me far less trouble than I initially thought they were going to. Pardon the quality of the photographs...my camera refuses to take good pictures indoors no matter how much I bribe it.
I am in the process of building a paper army...soon the world shall be pulled to its knees by the compelling force of tiny eccentrically dressed people of paper. This is Lola, the Bunny Girl, one of my paper children, cavorting in a cemetery.
Meet Violet, a person of paper, created of layers of paper pieces, glue, and adorned with ink. Her construction was straightforward...draw, cut, trace, cut, glue, embellish (lather, rinse, repeat). Here, fellow crafters, are some pictures of her for your delectation.
I figured that I would post this in paper crafts because the portion that required actual work on my part was all done with paper and an ultra-fine sharpie that I pressed into service against its will. The front of the wings is cream card stock, and the backing paper (also the paper for the corset) is a flexible scrapbooking paper with a really organic grain. The gold paisley is original to the paper...all else is my work. The corset is laced up the back with ribbon, and the wings are affixed through slits in the back. This is the first of these hearts I've done with which I'm actually happy, and I think that this may end up as a gift. Now, behold the pictures.
And since someone asked, the heart is about the size of the average fist, and the wingspan is close to a foot.