Wow! Bookmarking this one - what a great way to re-use something that otherwise goes on to the recycler (or too often, the garbage.) I love it!!!
Great idea too, to flip and fill with resin... I'm imagining a really neat easter egg basket, with some kind of easter-themed knick-knack inside the resin! The only tricky thing would be that you'd likely have to put the wire through before the resin went in.... hmmm...
Hoping someone might be able to help me. I have seen some awesome projects on Craftster, particularly in the home board, of great decoupaged projects.
I made something several years ago with Mod Podge (a wood piece, with scrapbook paper) ... anyway, it seemed like the modge never completely dried. When that piece sat on something for a while, it would stick a bit after.
So, I'm just wondering, is there a step that I'm missing? something that will "seal" the mod podge after you're done and dry hard like a laquer?
I'll try to answer the questions or respond in order:
Yep, the ragged edges are very soft and cozy! And the back side doesn't have any ragging (all the hems face up) so it's a smooth surface to sleep under. It's his main "bed" blanket, and it gets softer with washing.
The squares were indeed 7X7 when they were cut... which means the final finished "square" after the hems are done is about 6X6. I think this was an ideal size for a smaller blanket. But I've considered making a huge one (in shades of brown, green, etc.) for our queen size bed, and if I did, I think I'd make the squares 10x10 to start, or 9x9.
And final question: yep, it was all flannel, front and back. The batting layer was an all-natural cotton.
Honestly, I was really surprised at how easy this project was. It took some time to cut everything out, and doing the ragging took some time, but the actual process of putting it together wasn't hard. My sewing skills are definitely in the beginner to average level. So, if I could do it, anyone can, lol! The tutorial was really clear and showed it step by step.
When I bought the fabric and batting, I was kind of estimating how much I was going to need ... I think I spent about $35. But I had lots of fabric left over for a future project, so if I only include how much material and supply went into the actual finished project, it cost under $20. If I'd waited for a sale, it would have been even better, lol!