Knowing that I craft, my friend passed me a whole stash of her grandma's vintage fabric scraps. In return, I decided to use the scraps to make her a patchwork blanket. It's for her baby girl, who is due in October. I spent quite a lot of time working out the colour combination and the placement of various pieces.
The blanket has light quilting batting in between, and flannel for the back so that it will be comfortable for the baby. Initially I wanted to attempt to quilt it, but after reading up on quilting, it sounded too daunting plus it called for a "walkiing footer" (?) which I don't have.
To keep the batting in place, I stitched 2 squares, 1 about 1.5" from the edge of the blankie and another right in the centre so it has a slight "quilted" look. This is super easy and doesn't need anything special other than your standard sewing machine.
This was my first time doing patchwork - it went off quite smoothly largely because I did a lot of planning and measurements beforehand. I plotted the pattern based on a 2" by 2" grid and then made the templates for each fabric piece (total 77 pieces). It took me a total of 2 (long) nights and an afternoon to finish. I was surprised because I expected it to take a lot more time! It's also been a while since I've sewn, so I was a little worried that I might be going in over my head but I had such fun doing it! Now I can't wait to wrap it up and give it away!
I'm going to be making another one soon, because my own baby is coming in November On my couchOrange flannel on the flip sideCloseup of each patchwork square; includes vintage eyelet and calico fabricOne last shot