I got some Halloween fabric in JoAnne's (cause Halloween fabric is the best) and then it laid around for maybe a year. I knew I wanted to make a dress out of it but I had never really done it before, excepting the dress made out of a fake velvet Halloween cape (it's not my fault! It was the only material I had! It doesn't count!) Finally I made myself do it, and after a few re-sewings, it came out fairly good.
The picture is not the best ever, but there you go. Yay, first dress!
I've been wanting to learn how to weave for a while, and this year while I was in Arizona a lady was nice enough to not only teach me, but also let me borrow her inkle loom for a week or so. These are the ribbons I made, displayed chronologically, the first woven with random thread they had around and the latter ones with thread I bought myself.
I know these are nothing amazing, but I'm still pretty happy with them. I'd like to eventually get my own inkle loom and try out making belts and laces and such.
For easter, I followed my grandmother's tradition of dying eggs in onions skins with leaf prints:
I did five eggs but unfortunately, one of them wasn't deeply-coloured enough (I had to stop by the store and get some more onion skins) and another burst -- and as you see, one of these three didn't turn out so well, either. It didn't help that I only had one pantyhose that I could use (the way you get the leaves to stay on while you're dying the eggs is you put the egg in a piece of clean and/or unused pantyhose and tie it off) so the process went fairly slowly. At the end, I rubbed them in some sunflower oil to give them a slight shine. The first egg was a clover leaf, the second was a wild violet leaf, and the third was supposed to be a baby tree leaf of some sort.
I also made strawberry kvas:
It is nice and slightly fizzy and tangy, like kvas should be, with a light strawberry scent and flavour. I got the recipe from here -- http://www.good-cook.ru/proth/proth_071.shtml -- which is in Russian, but if anybody wants it, I can translate.
I made these from air dry clay and they're designed to hold -- well, anything laying around that fits, really.
First there's the owl:
Two of its talons chipped off, unfortunately (the cat knocked it off the table) but it's not too noticeable since it's fairly small. You can see above I am using it for holding thread, tiny scissors, and eyeliner.
Then there's the claw, which is bigger and is used for larger things -- brushes, screwdrivers, lipstick tubes, sometimes knitting needles and such:
I'm not sure whether I should paint it or not. Thanks for looking!
About two days ago, I decided I felt like playing cards, but couldn't find any at the store. So I started on making my own, which took a while because I am lazy and put off things, and I only had four markers to use (black, red, green, and a crappy blue) but I finally finished today. Observe!
The clothes of the jacks-queens-kings are very vaguely modeled off of some that I saw in a tarot deck example on Wikipedia. I have to admit, sometimes the drawing and colouring was fairly half-hearted, but they're just for me and my boyfriend, mostly, and they worked well enough when we used them.
This is a bit of a late post, since the belt in question was a Christmas present for my boyfriend, but I took a picture of it and promptly forgot of its existence. Anyway, my boyfriend is a bit of a nerd, and one of his favourite games is Mother 3 (part of the Earthbound series), wherein a boy goes in search for his brother (I think) and fights some pig-headed things. In the game, there's a race of people known as Mr. Saturns -- these peach-coloured blobby things with big noses and ribbons who speak absolute nonsense. So for lack of any better ideas, I decided to embroider them on a belt I found laying around.
When I was little, I used to eat lenivye varenniki -- or lazy varenniki -- cherries and sugar wrapped in a tvorog-based dough (tvorog is a type of dairy product popular in Russia -- sort of sour and crumbly, you can eat it for breakfast with jam). Since I've moved in with my mom, she's never really had the time to make them, and I didn't know how -- and anyway, tvorog is hard to find in the U.S., so I didn't have them for years. Recently, however, I managed to find a small Russian store nearby and buy a small package of tvorog. Add an egg, cherries, sugar, and flour-- and voila:
They were delicious.
Here is the recipe, should anyone want it: -About 8 oz. tvorog -1 egg -2-4 tablespoons sugar -about 1/2 cup flour -About 20 cherries or so -Flour for dusting
Pit the cherries. Mix together the tvorog, the egg, and the sugar, then add enough flour to make a sticky dough. Dust the table and lay out the dough; pull off a small piece and stick a cherry in the middle, throw in a pinch of sugar, and wrap the dough up into a small ball. When you've made several of these, throw them into sweetened and salted boiling water and wait until they swim up. Then consume.
I had the idea to roast something in an onion, but when I looked up recipes for stuffed onions, it mostly came up with bacon and breadcrumb type stuffings. I decided to do a buckwheat stuffing, with the buckwheat cooked in broth, but then realized I have no broth and almost no ingredients for it (you know, celery, red peppers, whatever) so I just cooked it with a bit of the onion "innards," mushrooms, and a bay leaf. Then I stuffed the onion with that and roasted it, along with some brussel sprouts. The result:
I think next time I'll change some things -- namely, I'll make stock to cook the buckwheat in, fry the mushrooms and onions before mixing them in, and roast the onion for a bit before stuffing it, so that it is cooked through. Also, I'll probably add tons more spices to the mixture -- the amount I added this time just didn't come through enough. Still, it was a good start.