Here are two patches I made with fabric markers -- one is for a friend who likes Siouxie Sioux and whales and the second is for my boyfriend, who hopes one day to possess an army of pugs and call them all Banjo. Both pretty silly.
I sewed this purse for my friend's birthday; I drew the patch with fabric markers. the colour layering was fun -- there are no peach coloured fabric markers (as far as I have seen) so I have to do a layer of red and brown and then white over that.
Hand-sewn because I'm afraid of sewing machines and I don't have electricity anyway.
I got some Halloween fabric in JoAnne's (cause Halloween fabric is the best) and then it laid around for maybe a year. I knew I wanted to make a dress out of it but I had never really done it before, excepting the dress made out of a fake velvet Halloween cape (it's not my fault! It was the only material I had! It doesn't count!) Finally I made myself do it, and after a few re-sewings, it came out fairly good.
The picture is not the best ever, but there you go. Yay, first dress!
I've been wanting to learn how to weave for a while, and this year while I was in Arizona a lady was nice enough to not only teach me, but also let me borrow her inkle loom for a week or so. These are the ribbons I made, displayed chronologically, the first woven with random thread they had around and the latter ones with thread I bought myself.
I know these are nothing amazing, but I'm still pretty happy with them. I'd like to eventually get my own inkle loom and try out making belts and laces and such.
For easter, I followed my grandmother's tradition of dying eggs in onions skins with leaf prints:
I did five eggs but unfortunately, one of them wasn't deeply-coloured enough (I had to stop by the store and get some more onion skins) and another burst -- and as you see, one of these three didn't turn out so well, either. It didn't help that I only had one pantyhose that I could use (the way you get the leaves to stay on while you're dying the eggs is you put the egg in a piece of clean and/or unused pantyhose and tie it off) so the process went fairly slowly. At the end, I rubbed them in some sunflower oil to give them a slight shine. The first egg was a clover leaf, the second was a wild violet leaf, and the third was supposed to be a baby tree leaf of some sort.
I also made strawberry kvas:
It is nice and slightly fizzy and tangy, like kvas should be, with a light strawberry scent and flavour. I got the recipe from here -- http://www.good-cook.ru/proth/proth_071.shtml -- which is in Russian, but if anybody wants it, I can translate.
I made these from air dry clay and they're designed to hold -- well, anything laying around that fits, really.
First there's the owl:
Two of its talons chipped off, unfortunately (the cat knocked it off the table) but it's not too noticeable since it's fairly small. You can see above I am using it for holding thread, tiny scissors, and eyeliner.
Then there's the claw, which is bigger and is used for larger things -- brushes, screwdrivers, lipstick tubes, sometimes knitting needles and such:
I'm not sure whether I should paint it or not. Thanks for looking!
About two days ago, I decided I felt like playing cards, but couldn't find any at the store. So I started on making my own, which took a while because I am lazy and put off things, and I only had four markers to use (black, red, green, and a crappy blue) but I finally finished today. Observe!
The clothes of the jacks-queens-kings are very vaguely modeled off of some that I saw in a tarot deck example on Wikipedia. I have to admit, sometimes the drawing and colouring was fairly half-hearted, but they're just for me and my boyfriend, mostly, and they worked well enough when we used them.